Adding Trtitium to a bezel

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you secure Tritium to a bezel? I'm going to mod my Longbow when I get it.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jets22 has been doing the tritium thing with his polished arcs. Try him.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl,
I use crystal clear two part 5 minute epoxy and put a glob over the tritium vial where you want it. It doesn't look real professional but looks fine and holds. Don't overly mix the epoxy to avoid bubbles, (I learned this the hard way!), and clean the surface where you want the tritium vial to go with finger nail polish REMOVER beforehand. Even if tiny bubbles appear in the glob after it dries, they don't detract from the vial's brightness.

Wylie

Enlightened
I can't explain Tridium exacly but if you aquire some please let me know as I have many many applications for it.
Tridium glows without being charged for about ten years from what I know. This dangerous so handle with extreme care!
I may have a better means of application of Tridium in some aspects.
It may be worth trying a product made by Trondak U-40 called Supreme LS which is used for the coating of fishing rod threads. The mixing without getting bubbles is a little tricky but if you take your time with a tooth pick it can be mixed very bubble free and will not yellow nearly as fast as you faster curing epoxies. As well the weird foggy stuff that comes from faster curing epoxies is not a problem.
Another option would be the two part epoxy that many here have been using to make optics or lenses although I do not know this products manufacture or name.
Best regards,
Wylie

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Justintoxicated,
Tritium (H3) is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. They fill a phosphor coated glass tube with it and as the tritium throws off particles the phosphor is charged and it glows. From what I've read the half-life of tritium is 12 years so the glow should last at least that long. They use it on gun sights , special exit signs , watches , mapreaders, flashlights (my Jets22 modified 3w arc should be here soon!), etc. Although it is radioactive, it really isn't dangerous. If you live in the U.S. you'll have a hard time tracking it down unless you scavenge it from a gun sight or something. My understanding is that the modders who use it on flashlights scavenge tritium viles from "Glow-Disks". Glow Disks are little bubble stickers with a little tritium vile in it. Tritium is also used in "Glow Rings", keychains that have a much larger (than glow disks) tritium vile in them. Glow Rings (not sure about the disks)are illegal to import into the U.S. so if you want one you'll have to get someone who lives in a much less anal country to send you one.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi is correct. The vials are the only way to get tritium now since tritium paint is gone everywhere. The vials glow lasts much longer anyway. I should have been more clear in my post as it was the vials removed from the Glowdiscs I used. Fellow CPFer Merkava can get the Glowrings and discs for you.

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks for the information xochi. That word radiation sure can be taken the wrong way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Very cool, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I guess I will have to look up Merkava.

Thanks guys,
Wylie