New toys - need review

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif - it's me again, your resident charlatan, hawking more lights ( or just providing info for the more enlightened /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif).

I have recently obtained several lights that I am very impressed with, but I can't find where anyone has reviewed them. I thought I would provide the info for those of you who, like me, are always searching for a better light, but don't have an unlimited budget /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif.

For the conspiracy minded among you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif, I reiterate and declare for the record that I have no connection, official or unofficial, other than being a frequent customer, with any of the companies referenced in the links below.

Vortex 1w LS 1XCR123 - brighter than a SL TL-3 led and smaller than a SF L4

http://countycomm.com/vortex.htm

LED Torch (5 watt) - blows the socks off of a SL TL-3 LED and compares favorably with SF L4, but spot vs. flood so hard to compare. Slightly larger than a SF TL-3 led, but at that size range who cares - it's not an EDC.

http://www.shoplifestyle.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=39&pf%5Fid=5311&mscssid=HLM6JNH62UXA9K1NLJVPRB099EHQFMAC

Zinc-Air System "Fire-Fli" - my dimmest light, but one of my favorites. They don't come any smaller than this. Makes a great backup EDC for no extra space.

http://www.shoplifestyle.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=39&pf%5Fid=5145&mscssid=HLM6JNH62UXA9K1NLJVPRB099EHQFMAC

I hope those long links work - if not let me know.

Shadows

Newly Enlightened
Vortex 1w LS 1XCR123 - brighter than a SL TL-3 led and smaller than a SF L4 ????
1 watt brighter then 5 watt ???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, brighter was a bad choice of words. The TL-3 definitely puts out more light. The Vortex is more focused and has a slight blueish hue. It's shorter than an L4, being only 1XCR123, but fatter. Still, it is a very nice light. Of my one watt luxeons, I would rate the Vortex most light output, then SF E1-KL1, and Arc LS lowest, not that there is really a whole lot of difference from one to the next. That being said, The Arc LS is my EDC because of the lanyard hole. I can carry it hanging from a belt loop and just let it hang in my pocket.

Considering the price, I'd call it a "bang for the buck" winner.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

What do you think of the Zinc Air batteries?

From experiences with other 4 button cell lights, you might be able to get better run time at little loss in brightness by running the light on 3 cells and a dummy cell made from a nut.

Tom

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used it enough to have an opinion about the batteries. I certainly wouldn't want it to be any dimmer. The thing is just too darned cute not to carry on my keychain. It's perfect for a backup EDC or when you don't need a whole lot of light - like when you don't want to be too conspicious reading the program at the opera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, talk about a comprehensive review by someone who claims to be a rookie reviewer. My complements to the reviewer. The model I have is the 1XCR123 not the 2XCR123 reviewed.

I went with the 1XCR123 because I already had the 5w LED Torch (3XCR123), and in that size range, I could not see any other light beating it. Only downside to the LED Torch is no momentary switch - only constant on or off.

Aten_Imago

Banned
JimH
Blushing on the compliments.Thanks! It really is our first Flashlight review and from a different approach -you may notice. I had to review the TC2 first - a TC1 is enroute to usa as I pen this. The issue is that every site I've seen that lists Lumen output on these TC's has the TC2 at the same out put as the TC1 - 25 Lumens. Only Vortexvision.com lists the TC2 at 40 lumens and they refuse to amend this rating- so I'm comparing the outputs forom the 2 lights. I wish I had a meter that would have put the issue to rest - metrically.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aten_Amago
You're welcome. Since you are just getting started, here is your chance to provide a real service by reviewing stuff that nobody else has.

I would love to see the Luxeon V LED Torch, mentioned in my original post, reviewed. I like this light so much I just ordered 2 more. If you don't want to pay $59.95 (URL in my original post), you can pay $99.99, $125.00, or $99.97 at the following web sites respectively.

http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/store/luxeon-v-5-watt-led-aluminum-hand-torch.html

http://www.essentialgear.com/store.cgi?action=link&sku=Luxeon_V

http://goldengadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=118

Aten_Imago

Banned
JimH
Thanks so much for the suggestion,but as I mentioned- we're only reviewing 1 cell lights. The Luxeon V LED Torch you cited is not in that category.The TC2 was an exception to our new constraint. It's really not about testing what others don't have but rather - testing for usability, human factors and ergonomics - our specialties. The decision to stick to small (4" or less) lights is based on a niche market that has the widest demographic of the pocket light vertical . More people of more walks in life will buy and use a 1cell light than a 2 celled one.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to admit, I'm still buying 1 cell lights in the never ending search for the perfect pocketlight (10 watts, 3 hr burn time, size of an Arc AAA, cost under $50 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif).

If I come across anything interesting in that category, I'll pass it along.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:

LED Torch (5 watt) - blows the socks off of a SL TL-3 LED and compares favorably with SF L4, but spot vs. flood so hard to compare. Slightly larger than a SF TL-3 led, but at that size range who cares - it's not an EDC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who makes this light?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I remember is the box has "Made in China" on it. I'll look again when I get home tonight. I have to admit, the box is pretty snazzy.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one of the 5 watt blasters. I soon as I get it I will hold a shoot out against my L6 and TL-3LED and post review + beamshoots in Review section of CPF. Also if it is not junk, I will buy one of these: http://www.shoplifestyle.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=31&pf%5Fid=4826&mscssid=T3FNENUP26G59LDVKEJDR9CDEJ9NBRH8

In the 6 volt version for $40 looks good.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID smokes LED!
Recent additions to My Lights: *** http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/Dscn3236

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kitchener said:
Nuwai, maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on limited research of other web sites, I suspect you are correct. The only thing I can find on the box is "Model No. ALX-0533L". This is consistent with the model numbers from similar looking lights on other sites.

SomeBloke

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it is Nuwai too - I've seen some of these around, and they seem to be Nuwai variations which various companies sell under their own name.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it, hearing aid batteries have a very limited life. Once they are opened and exposed to air and activated, there's no turning back. IIRC the life is in the 60-90 day range. It doesn't seem like that would make a very dependable key chain light.

indenial

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Aten_Imago said:
JimH
Thanks so much for the suggestion,but as I mentioned- we're only reviewing 1 cell lights. The Luxeon V LED Torch you cited is not in that category.The TC2 was an exception to our new constraint. It's really not about testing what others don't have but rather - testing for usability, human factors and ergonomics - our specialties. The decision to stick to small (4" or less) lights is based on a niche market that has the widest demographic of the pocket light vertical . More people of more walks in life will buy and use a 1cell light than a 2 celled one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you be reviewing the Browning Black Ice 5111 1 watt single cell any time soon? I have the Vortex TC1 and it IS a great little light. Considering the TC2, but Vortex is coming out with some new lights soon that look good, too. Sigh. Too many to choose from!

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, the FireFli is smaller than the Zweibrüder MicroLenser and they claim to have the smallest pocketlight .-)
And kitelights is right, the Zinc air cells have limited lifetime as soon as their breathing hole is opened. But they have a wonderful weight/energy rating.