AA Mini Maglight 'upgrade'

Gandalf

Enlightened
AA Mini Maglight \'upgrade\'

While drooling over the vast inventory at brightguy.com (so far the best 'all around' flashlight site I've seen, so far)
cool.gif

I spotted an item in the accessories list for the AA maglight (hey, I was killing time at work; I had 10 minutes before the DNA sequencer was done....)
blush.gif
I spotted an aftermarket *tailcap switch* for the AA Mini Maglite. I like AA Maglites; I can get them for $8 or $9, plus the $2.50 for the xenon bulb upgrade that makes them almost as bright as a 'standard' 2D cell maglight
cool.gif
, but it bugs me that you really need both hands to turn them on and off. Fifteen years ago they were pretty hot, but they are old technology, now, mostly. But add a one hand switch, and the light becomes much more user friendly. No description of operation, or picture
frown.gif
, but I decided to order 2 of them. I'm guessing I'm going to lose the spare bulb and lanyard hole, but that's a fair trade off to making the light more user-friendly. After having 3 Brinkmann Legend AA's self destruct under very light duty, I'm looking forward to this 'upgrade'. for the better constructed AA MiniMags. Not as exciting as finding the xenon lamps, which I've been buying from Brinkmann (orig. lamp in Brinkmann's Nexstar, the worst waste of good aluminum I've seen in awhile, but the lamps are great
wink.gif
) Report will follow, when The UPS guy get them here next week.
rolleyes.gif
And I finally ordered my Arc lights. Yeah, after my dissapointment with the CMG Infinity, I bought both a white and a turqouise one. One will get regular use, and the othe one will go into my heavy duty survival knife kit: Buck's Master knife, with 1/4th inch thick, saw back blade, and tie downs to make a spear. I added leather wrapping to the hilt, and two pouches; one with a permanent match, and a plastic vial of fuel, a spare AAA battery, and the other with a Sog Multiplier, and I had a Mag Solitaire in there. The Arc light will take it's place. I always wanted a better light to put in the pouch, but space was really limited.
rolleyes.gif
You'll get my $.02 on the two Arc Lights, too. Good thing the Arc-LS isn't going to be out for awhile, I've been buying far too many spendy, battery operated toys lately!
blush.gif

Xenon

Enlightened
Re: AA Mini Maglight \'upgrade\'

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
....I've been buying far too many spendy, battery operated toys lately!
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you know you are a flashlight junkie if your batteries cost more than your lights!

Velcro

Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
While drooling over the vast inventory at brightguy.com (so far the best 'all around' flashlight site I've seen, so far)
cool.gif
I spotted an item in the accessories list for the AA maglight (hey, I was killing time at work; I had 10 minutes before the DNA sequencer was done....)
blush.gif
I spotted an aftermarket *tailcap switch* for the AA Mini Maglite. No description of operation, or picture
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gandalf, here is a picture of a Mini Mag tailcap switch.
9060.jpg

I assume the switch from Brightguy wouldn't look that much different (if it is not the same).

The picture is from Alpec Team. The URL to the Mini Mag switch page is http://www.alpec.com/catalog/index.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Alp ec&Product_Code=9060&Category_Code=Accessories

By the way, the tailcap switch offered by Brightguy is manufactured by Kroll International. Does anyone know a website for them?

Greetings,
Velcro

kb0rrg

Enlightened

I too have seen this accessory. I am looking forward to your report. I will/will not get one based upon your impressions...no pressure
smile.gif

mcjamison

Newly Enlightened

Wow, the Alpec site lists the switches for $23 - you should be able to get two and a half minimags for that!

Has anyone tried the Streamlight Junior? Looks like a 2-AA minimag competitor, but with a switch in the tailcap, which I presume functions like the Scorpion's. They're $10.95 at brightguy (who has excellent service, as well as selection). Cheaper than adding a tailswitch onto a minimag.

-- Jamie

Gandalf

Enlightened

I received the tailcap switches I ordered from brightguy.com yesterday, and it's the only thing I've ever gotten from them I was disappointed in. There was no picture on the website, just an extremely brief description; but I assumed it would be good quality, since brightguy.com simply doesn't sell lower quality merchandise.... except for this tailcap switch. It has a cheap plastic body, with a rubber cover. There is no O-ring to seal out moisture, and I doubt the switch will make a good seal, since there is no real ring or ridge of rubber, or anything designed specifically to seal out moisture. The button on the switch sits quite high; coming to a rounded point, and the spring is fairly weak, so it would be really easy for it to come on accidently if it was anywhere where any other object could hit the end of the switch: your pocket, the factory holster, in a glovebox, a backpack, etc.
blush.gif
tongue.gif
So if the light is just sitting head down, or lying on a shelf, this switch would work just fine, but it's generally a really cheap switch, and not up to the standards I would want on any of my MiniMag flashlights; even if it were placed somewhere the switch wouldn't get accidently turned on.
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif
I'm going to send the two I bought back to brightguy.com; I do know from dealing with them in the past that I won't have any problems returning them; their customer service is absolutely the best
grin.gif

Coherence

Newly Enlightened

About those military/police backswitches - are they the push on / push off or momentary on type? Does anyone have one that can comment on their quality?

Size15's

Flashaholic

Military and Police TailCap switches should not be click switches. (They can break, and they can stay [for too long] when you really don't need putting lives at risk)
Having said that, some U.S. Navy SEALS have asked PK to design a click switch TailCap for them to trial.

From SureFire, I have never heard of a TailCap switch failing.

The Scorpion, TACM and TacLite have been known to have problems. I believe the new versions of the TACM were meant to have been improved.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Al,

I have a real "Combat Grip" for my 2AA Mini-Mag, which I made re-using a properly shaped rubber seal from a discarded "SodaStream".

It's never failed me yet ......

Mr. Anonymous

grin.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Velcro

Enlightened

Gandalf, do the switches you ordered from Brightguy look the same like the tailcap switch from Alpec Team (up in this thread)?

Greetings,
Velcro

Gandalf

Enlightened

No, the switches I got from Brightguy don't look anything like the Alpec ones. If they did, I might keep them, as they look to be much better units.
And, as I expected, returning the switches to brightguy.com is going to be easy: Greg said just send them back, and they will credit my Visa account, *including shipping* Almost nobody does that, but brightguy.com is possibly the best website I've ever dealt with. Customer service and satisfaction really are #1 with them!
grin.gif
cool.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if this helps anyone but I bought a 2AA Nexstar flashlight from Wal-mart for $7, took the Xenon bulb and the tailcap switch and put them on my Mini-mag. It fits and works well (just looks ugly). 7$ for the switch and bulb just seemed like a good deal if you don't mind the lack of aesthetics. just a budget option for everyone.

kb0rrg

Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hpdjim:
I don't know if this helps anyone but I bought a 2AA Nexstar flashlight from Wal-mart for $7, took the Xenon bulb and the tailcap switch and put them on my Mini-mag.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like your idea. Is the Nexstar a momentay switch or a clicker?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It's a clicker. It threads into the mag-lite just fine but does not screw in flush. I just threw a piece of electrical tape over the exposed threads. This also made it look better. (The mag is black and the tail cap is silver)

Luca

Newly Enlightened

Hi Gandalf,
What you daid about upgrading minimags AA was very interesting. I recall we used to have those xenon bulbs over here in Europe too. But nowadays I can't seem te get them anymore (now that Maglite is standard issue for everyone).

Where can I get those lamps. Tried Bright Guy and didn't find them there.

How do thes lights affect battery drain?

Thanks! Keep those AA's glowing!

Shawn Dodson

Newly Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Military and Police TailCap switches should not be click switches. (They can break, and they can stay [for too long] when you really don't need putting lives at risk)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This particular switch is an inexpensive click switch. Makes sense for the Mini-Mag. The bezel must be rotated to energize the lamp, in conjunction with the switch being in the "on" position. A momentary on/off switch, like the Surefire, will never allow you to keep the lamp energized unless you continuously depress the tailcap switch.

I ordered three of these switches. It's constructed of plastic, with a molded neoprene rubber "skin", which is molded to create a seal between the switch housing and the flashlight body. It can be operated in a momentary on/off manner. For the price I paid, I'm not disappointed.

I'd like to see Surefire offer a two-cell AA flashlight similar to the 6P. One that uses Mini-Mag type lamps. Something inexpensive to purchase and maintain (cheap batteries and lamps).

Gandalf

Enlightened

I get the xenon lamps for the AA Mini Maglite from Brinkmann; they are the original lamps in Brinkmann's Nexstar AA flashlight. They cost $5/pkg of 2, in America.

I've never compared burn time between the Brinkman xenon and the AA Mini Maglite 'factory' lamps; I figured that the whiter and bighter light from the xenon lamps was worth whatever decrease in burn time. AA batteries are pretty cheap, after all.
wink.gif
cool.gif

Latest posts