Need Plumbing Advice

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naturally, I picked a Sunday to replace my kitchen faucet and now I'm stuck. I can't get the 2 plastic nuts off that hold the faucet to the sink.

I've tried every tool that I own and the nuts don't budge. If I can't resolve it, I'll have to call a plumber tomorrow.

As a last resort, should I use a cold chisel to split the plastic nuts in half or should I use a propane torch to heat them. What is the best route to take?

Marty

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman

I've tried that to no avail. I just went to Lowe's and got some penetrating oil but I'm not sure that will work on plastic.

If all else fails, I'll have to have a plumber make a service call for something that is really simple (except to me).

Marty

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Do you have good purchase on the nuts? There is a cool tool that I have used to bail out with that is on a long shaft with a "T" at one end for torquing and a closing toothed jaw at the other that will articulate for difficult angles. I can't describe it well but it will serve as a pip wrench equivalent of a crows foot on an extension if that makes any sense??

From your description, I can't tell if the nuts are requireing excessive torque for removal or if you just can't provide a required amount of torque due to their position?!? Certainly heat can change the situation as well as possibly degrade any sealant or other means of the current bond.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo

I think that you are talking about a Basin Wrench. I've tried it and the plastic nuts are bigger than the wrench can handle.

Sigman

Ya, I've gone to some sites but none of them give any further detail than "unscrew the plastic nuts".

jayflash

I don't care if the nuts are ruined since I have a brand new faucet sitting in the wings ready for installation.

If it wasn't for the fact that space under the sink is very limited (I've already removed most of the PVC pipes) and most of my tools are large, I probably would have resolved this problem already.

It just tees me off that I need to pay a plumber to remove 2 nuts and then leave. I'm afraid that I will just have to swallow my pride and make the call.

Thanks to everyone who tried to give me a hand.

Marty

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar problem once. I ended up having to remove the old one with a hacksaw from the top. I don't know exactly what's involved since I can't see what you're working on, but it should be possible (though it may not be easy) to hack off the top part of the assembly and remove the remains from below. Try prying up any trim around the faucet to get a look at what your dealing with.

Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Playboy

They are plastic nuts on the fixture's brass threads thru a cast iron sink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm going to lift up the trim from the top to see if I can hacksaw the fixture from above but my gut feel is that there is no tolerance between the fixture and the sink.

The last thing that I want to do is buy a new sink. At least if the plumber screws it up, I'll hold them responsible.

Marty

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
glockboy, DrGwat & LitFuse

All good ideas. My back is killing me from working upside down all afternoon. My next approach is from the top.

If I have to go out and buy more tools, it may just be worthwhile to have a plumber out. We'll see.

Marty

turbodog

Flashaholic
This is a GREAT excuse to buy a sawzall, and it's probably cheaper than a plumber call. They are great tools and I am sure you will use it again in the future.

Drill a hole from the top of the faucet down. Use this hole to insert the sawzall blade. Saw away!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wanted a Sawzall but this is not the task that I want to start using one on. The three holes in the sink that the faucet uses seem to be too narrow to start sawing away at.

I just found a Ridgid tool on the web called a Plastic Nut Basin Wrench (model #66807) which is exactly what I need. It's only $20.80 and I'm going to order it. It centers itself on the tabs of the plastic nut and you can use a ratchet wrench on the other end of it to torque that mother.

If everything else fails, the plumber will be called.

Marty

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pull the sink and flip it over so you can get to the nuts. Then use whatever to take/break them off. I had to do it with mine before.

StuU

Enlightened
Marty-

Use a long standard screwdriver.
Position the screwdriver to the side of the nuts at a 45 degree angle. Lodge the screwdriver head into the wings or any suitable surface on the nut. Use a small hammer to tap the the screwdriver handle. Be sure you are oriented correctly as the nuts should be standard threaded.
Good luck.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eugene - Pull the sink? OMG - That is well beyond my skill level (and patience).

StuU - I tried that earlier today but the space under the sink doesn't allow for enough leverage to really give it a whack.

Burning sounds good too. I'm sure that I'll have this resolved in the next 48-72 hours.

Marty