Will Arc4 still be offered when there's Arc5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonbox

Banned
Will Arc4 still be offered when there\'s Arc5?

Will the Arc4 still be offered when the Arc5 becomes available in 2005? Will the Arc4 get phased out the the LSH?

Mikhail

Newly Enlightened
Re: Will Arc4 still be offered when there\'s Arc5?

Wondering about that too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
nonbox said:
Will the Arc4 still be offered when the Arc5 becomes available in 2005? Will the Arc4 get phased out the the LSH?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so (that the Arc 4 will still be offered). To me, the extra lumens of the Arc 5 is NOT worth the extremely short life of the bulb.

The Arc 4+ is excellent for EDC--30 lumens is more than enough for my EDC needs. For larger uses where more lumens are a must, there are 3 watt lights like the Elektro-Lumens 3C that produce 72 lumens, or the new XM2 that has promise of bring bright (72 lumens) and somewhat small size--but still has respectable bulb life.

For EDC, my first choice will always be Arc. But, for pure lumen power LEDs, there are many other options.

Mattman

Enlightened

I was under the impression that the Arc4 and Arc5 would be complimentary lights. The Arc5 will be priced higher than the Arc4, so they'll be in noticeably different price categories. Think of it this way - if the Arc4 were to go away, we'd have the $250 Arc5 (last I heard), with no product between it and the $35 AAA Premium. I doubt that at $250 the Arc5 could ever be Arc's bread and butter light like the LS series was, so there's got to be a more mainstream product available. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mattman said:
I was under the impression that the Arc4 and Arc5 would be complimentary lights. The Arc5 will be priced higher than the Arc4, so they'll be in noticeably different price categories. Think of it this way - if the Arc4 were to go away, we'd have the $250 Arc5 (last I heard), with no product between it and the $35 AAA Premium. I doubt that at $250 the Arc5 could ever be Arc's bread and butter light like the LS series was, so there's got to be a more mainstream product available. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thats quite pricey for a light that potentially has a 500 hour LED (assuming the 5-watts don't improve by then). I think I'll stick with the Arc-4......

(I'm hoping the Arc 4 is will still be produced concurrently with the Arc 5)

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since the Arc5 will be underdriven, I don't think we have to worry about the short life span. Besides, if it failed after 500 hours (2x123 for an hour at max brightness as an estimate would = 1,000 batteries at ~$1 -or- $1,000 of battery costs after 500 hours) Arc will replace it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are several surefire lights that cost that much with a bulb life of about ~30 hours. So even 500 is much improved over "bulbs". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mattman

Enlightened

The most important thing to keep in mind about the Arc5 is that it does not yet exist. Therefore we can only speculate about things like the LED life. Who knows what a 5 watter will be like in a year? Peter's pretty good at making quick design improvements, so he'll make sure we get good LED's at the time the Arc5 comes out.

haley1

Enlightened

I think by the time I wear out a 5W LED at 500 hours the new super duper Lux 2x 10 W supernova Led will be out. So I'd want to replace it anyway. Anyone working on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.