Photon gone...now what?

lureman

Newly Enlightened
My battery ran down on my Photon and I thought I'd use it as an excuse to purchase a new light. I'm looking for something that I can attach to my Leatherman Micro and want something that is pretty bright. I would like something that won't get beat-up rattling around in my pocket with the Leatherman. I thought about an ARC AA, any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks, Dan

Topper

Flashaholic*
I keep an ARC AAA on my key chain all the time it seems to be holding up fine HA finish is tough stuff.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

ARC AAA is a better size than AA for your pocket. I'm picky about not wanting bulky things in my pocket. The finish is tough and is more likely to wear your Leatherman than itself. Both are great lights. I carry the AA on a neck lanyard and an AAA in my pocket and another AAA on a keychain.

BTW, the knurling on the AA is smoother than on the AAA.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
arc aaa, being smaller, would be mutch better suited to keychain than the arc aa...

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Welcome here Lureman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

As many others replies, I have an arc AAA in my key rings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I've got an arc AA, but I don't like it, too big and not really more bright than an arc AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA on "Average" keychain size comparison.
sizecomparison.jpg

I find that the knurling on the Arc actually makes it a fair bit easier to fish out of pockets, as it's an easy to recognise and to get hold of texture, without being so much so that it ends up dragging everything else in the pocket out. Occasionally bits of fluff and other gunk do stick to it, but that's hardly an issue really.
As for weight, to be honest, I hardly even notice that it's there, though your mileage may vary on that one.

14C

Enlightened
What Zelandeth (and everyone else) said....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
My thought on seeing the title...I bet someone recomended an Arc AAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That works for me also. But I also thought of SUPER TOUGH POCKET LEDs from County Com. For the cost of two Photons you get 10 lights. I wouldn't recomend the 20 for $20 lights for an active keychain. But these look a lot more rugged. If you can't think of 9 deserving people there are several other good small keychain lights. Innova and CMG come to mind. Check LEDmuseum and Flashlightreviews.
Or you could get a new battery.
Or a FireFly2.

Edit: 10 for $15 CPF special I thought they were cheaper than $20 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The $20/20 CC lights are ok, not as nice as the Photon, certainly not an upgrade. They're a reasonable way to get cheap batteries to feed your Photon, but the idea here is to buy a new light. I'd say the CC, Inova, and CMG O4 are similar enough to the Photon that switching doesn't make much sense. The electronic Photons like the new Freedom Micro are more interesting, though not my cup of tea. The Arc AAA is IMO the best 5mm keychain LED light, though somewhat bigger than the Photon, but expensive and in somewhat short supply. The CMG Sonic is pretty similar, not as good, but still an ok light, on sale/closeout for $10 or so at Batterystation and TTS.

Note there's a CPF special for the CC "super tough" lights:

http://www.countycomm.com/CPF%20super%20Tough%20LED.htm