A New Car for <$5000 !

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not in the market for a new car and if I was, Kia's would be 450th on my list but the local Kia dealership is selling new 2004 Kia's for $4,990!

When was the last time you saw a brand new car for that price? I remember the Renault Le Car was around that price in the late 70's or early 80's but nothing comes close in the last decade or two.

In my area, used golf carts are going for $2,500!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id say id guess that if ya ent to buy one at 5k ya wouldnt get it for that they want ya to come in then they will presure ya

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow, that's nuts. Cheapest new vehicle I ever purchased was my Toyota mini pickup in 1993. $6999. I honestly don't know how anybody can build a vehicle for that kind of money. Certainly not $5000 today! Wow. Tires come standard, right? People spend far more than that just to *add* leather, GPS and DVD to their minivans! crazy.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
FYI,
When I go car shoping bad things happen.

I look at the service department on sundays. When they have more cars in for service than they do in the sales area, watch out!

That's what happened when I went to a Kia dealership in Leesberge VA.

Also KIA is mil speak for Killed In Action.

Up to you.

Keep it warm
Jack Crow in Iraq

iddibhai

Enlightened
wow, sunday they have service at the dealers in your neck of the woods? here, sunday is closed, and saturday they cater to the oil change crowd, anything more serious requires weekdays (which means one day out of a car!).

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I've had a 2000 Kia Sportage 2X for a little over three years, currently at 60k+ miles. It's the first used vehicle I've ever bought. (~11k at purchase) For the price vs. equipment nobody could touch them, but they aren't always the most dependable vehicles. So far so good though, nothing that has kept it from getting me around safely.

My first three brand new vehicles were a toyota, a nissan, and then a mazda.. respectively.(the first and last I kept until they were around 120k) That said, I have really loved this truck but it has had a lot of warranty repair. The main things were: both catalytic converters, the alternator/bearing, the a/c compressor/receiver/evap coil, and the drive shaft/bearings. I just missed the 100k/10yr warranty when I got mine, so I'm just out of the warranty coverage now. I'm not too worried, although when I get something else I probably won't trade this in on it.

Supposedly this vehicle was originally designed with hardcore use in mind. A lot of respected names were involved with different components. It did win the baja a couple years in a row. Modified of course... ( http://www.suv.com/kia/KIA2K/ )

Anyway, it looks like the quality issue has only gotten better. My truck came standard with more features than ANY of my previous vehicles, and cheaper than the mazda (mx3).
I really wish they hadn't switched to the gas-guzzling sorento.

The few people I've talked to that bought Kia cars seemed to be happy with them overall. I felt I should add that since the sportage was a different animal to an extent.

If you're not too nit-picky they're worth a look. Also, I've been the salesperson's worst nightmare on all my purchases. Like Raggie said they will probably try to get more out of you, so be prepared to stick to your guns and walk out of the dealership if you have to.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
People may not tnink that this is a legitimate deal BUT in today's mail, I received a flyer advertising the same price:

2004 Kia Rio - MSRP $10,280
Discount $3,790
Factory Rebate $1,500

Net Cost $4,990

AND that includes a 10 year, 100,000 Mile warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marty

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the old Yugo commercials and thier slogan. "Buy yourself a little freedom". $3990 if I remember correctly. That was in the mid 1980's.

RH

Enlightened
Hey Marty,

What location is this? Sadly, I may need a car very quickly (and cheap)!

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
When we still had Guilders , a new Fiat Panda was 10.000 Guilders, wich is a bit less than $5k. The last ones were a bit over €6000 I believe, but of course cars here are a lot more expensive than in America.

Baadbeams

Newly Enlightened
Any one have the phone # to one of these dealers making this offer? I am interested in a low price car. I went to a locaL Kia dealer but they could`nt touch the price. They suggested there may be some small print like "with $2000 down", or with you trade in or with a loyalty discount, student dicount, miltary discount or some others. I would need air and auto trans...power windows and locks...so I know I would pay more but would like to use $5000 as a starting point.

Thanks
Ken