AVG Found A Trojan Horse

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Downloader.Crypter.E slipped past Norton but AVG caught it. System Restore had to be temporarily disabled to eliminate the virus.

Anyone else catch this one?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the heads-up.

AVG is an antivirus program, correct?
might have to get that one. maybe norton's isnt as good as i thought.

Bob

Eric_M

Enlightened
How long have you guys been using AVG? I've always used Norton but installed AVG after reading this post and it found 2 infected files that Norton missed. Are their updates pretty timely?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes daily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Make sure Heuristics is turned ON. Norton and McAfee, unless they went to a Heuristics engine, can only find what they have definitions for. Heuristics allows the AV program to find nasties that are similar to what is in the defs DB (not just identical).

I have been using AVG for several years now (when in Windows). My primary AV defense is using Linux for all of my internet, including email.

Eric_M

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
AVG doesnt interfere with NAV?

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't this morning. I installed AVG and ran a scan while Norton was still running in the background. No problem.

I uninstalled Norton a little later to try AVG on its own for awhile.

So far, so good.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
Norton has really gone downhill the last couple of years, I've had some viri (that it supposedly would stop) blow right through it and then been told by Symantec that it couldn't possibly have happened dispite facts to the contrary.

AVG is a exellent product.

Eric_M

Enlightened
This is great info, thanks everyone. I was convinced that Norton was the best and have just been putting up with all the "side effects" that go along with it.

It'll be interesting to see how my system runs overall during the next week or so.

Thanks Again,

Eric

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Your system oughta run just fine. AVG is undoubtedly one of the best AV programs out there and it's free for personal use! I've been using the free version for well over a year now and no adverse reactions. It takes up less system resources than either Norton's or Mcafee's does and seems far more stable. Overall I can't recommend AVG enough. Great stuff!

lightnix

Enlightened
I downloaded the free AVG version today, having seen this thread and seem to have escaped the horrors of Downloader.Crypter.E (anybody know what it actually does ?), but have been wondering whether to change my AV software, especially now that the Norton subscription is almost due.

AVG has certainly been highly recommended by many and I may well go for that, but somebody mentioned PC cillin the other day and said it was just as good. Any thoughts ?

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Last month I convinced my employer to buy AVG 7.0 Network Edition because the our annual license was about to expire on the PCs that had Norton AV installed. In the 2 days that followed after installation 2 different workstations (that were running up to date Norton definitions previously) reported viruses, one of them was the downloader trojan, buried in the System Restore backup files. I've been quite impressed with AVG and I love the centralized administration and reporting of the Network Edition. I am running the free version on my home PC and my notebook PC also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
PC-Cillin bites. Not very stable, doesn't find a number of virii and has trouble cleaning the ones it does find. Not recommended. AVG does better.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please note that AVG is also available for Linux systems - email servers. I wish there was a Linux client side that would plug into both Evolution and Mozilla Messenger.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm.
i just got a call from my brother, who states that he thinks he is gettin viruses from me--but i dont think this is the case. i have both zonealarm and NAV comepletely up-to-date. my wife and i dont download anything, and i open absolutely no attachments in e-mail.

the NAV has caught dozens of vireses/worms in attachments my wife has opened. i think i need to tell her not to open any more.

i have an older version (2001 or 2002, i believe) NAV. i keep it up to date, but need to upgrade software. this means $30 for the 2004 NAV.

perhaps i should consider AVG. i read that AVG places an ad in each outgoing e-mail. is that correct?

Bob

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
hmmm.
i just got a call from my brother, who states that he thinks he is gettin viruses from me--but i dont think this is the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely an email spoof. Someone has your email address (probably in their outlook address book) and a virus on their system is attempting to spread itself by sending spoof emails supposedly from you.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, AVG did that to me too, caught several things that Norton had missed. I've just set AVG up to check for updates daily, and download them as required, all I have to do is click okay when it's done. About as close to a totally "Click and forget" system as there is.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
you can configure AVG to put a notice in incomeing/outgoing e-mails saying it has been checked, you can also config to not do it. default is on if I recall.

naromtap

Enlightened
Interesting, I was using AVG for the last 2 or 3 years then recently started using Norton - why did I mend something that wasn't broken - perhaps time to rethink?! I think I changed as most people rave on about how good Norton is.