Vinegaroon succumbs to WA 01160!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how many of you MagCharger WA 01160 owners have noticed how much heat can be projected with that lamp.

You can burn your skin with it.

Tonight I found a small vinegaroon in my front room. I had the MagCharger in my hands, so I put it at tight focus, about 8-10 inches away.
About 30 seconds, and it was dead.

I have a digital camera now, but I forgot to photograph it. I flushed it already.
When I look vinegaroon up on the information superhighway, the pics I get aren't what I have here.
But, it's what the locals call this damn thing.
Looks like a spider/scorpion cross.

Anyway, it's use no. 1001 for a MagCharger...

6pOriginal

Enlightened
Sheesh....they don't need to spend all those money to develop the Airborne Laser...just strap a bunch of Magchargers together and there you have it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened
My MagCharger seems to have melted a bit of the AR coating on my UCL. Only around the edges, however. No big deal--you can see it when you look at the lense at a certain angle. Happened when I let the light right for more than five minutes.

I should do a test one day to see if the WA puts out more heat or the SF M4/M6s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not at all. That's what I mean. They call them vinegaroons like some kind of folklore, or something.

Mine are tan, camo'd for the desert. They have what looks like pincers, however, they're located right on the insect itself, with no arms, and are oriented vertically.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another part of the story goes, supposedlt, if you are stung or bitten by these things, you taste vinegar in your mouth for a week or two. It may be true, because the do secrete a vinegar like acid. When I first moved here, they would tell me this, and I was sure it was a joke, like the jackalope.

I'd say, "You mean I could eat a salad with only oil on it? what a bonus!"

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Shankus,
Look up sun spider, wind spider, sun scorpion, wind scorpion, camel spider, or just go look at this thread. I bet that's what you are talking about.
Actually technically called a solifugae.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Wind spider succumbs to WA 01160!

Yes, I found it in the Camel spider thread.

SOLPUGID, also called a wind spider or wind scorpion.

solpugid2.gif

ARACHNOLOGY
Excellent link provided by Sasha:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have used my m/c wa 01160 to fry the annoying little ants that come in this time of year.
they are kinda slow moving so an easy target.sometimes you can hear them pop!
who needs a magnifier?fry em with a flashlight!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I have a getaway shack in the Mojave. Vinageroons are a recognised nocturnal nasty. If you step on one, they reek of acetic acid/vinager. Urban (desert) legend has it that they have a painful bite. (not sting) They are pretty fast and stomping them is a challenge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They sort of resemble a scorpion and fluoresce under UV.

Larry