My 1st mod (with pics)

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Resize%20of%20DCP_9365.JPG

Resize%20of%20DCP_9372.JPG

Resize%20of%20DCP_9375.JPG

Resize%20of%20DCP_9369.JPG

shot at 12", each division 1 inch.

I used plastic host purchased at a local store, the nice thing is that it has a clip in the back, the head rotates 360 degrees and it can be tilted from horizontal to vertical.

Used 5 besthongkong 10000 mcd white leds, they have a light blue tint.

The reflector is there for estethics only because it does not add to the beam.

The circuit drains 140mA from the batteries but I forgot to measure the led current /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I have a lathe coming from China, so this is all I can do to kill the anxiety until I receive my unit and start turning aluminium...

I hope you all like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
What circuit did you use? Looks like you built your own. If it was DD theyd get 28ma a peice, but w/ a circuit they will get less obviously as it's not 100% eff, so I wouldn't worry about overdrive. Very nice, looks like a good host!!

LEDMANIA

Newly Enlightened
Psst!!PEU, nice mod but did not mention about the circuit..
looks not microchip but nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a 2 transistor circuit (pnp/npn) similar to the brinkman, so is poorly regulated, the inductor is 68mH, and I put no current limiting resistors in each led.

This circuit is very dependant on the value of the inductor, so I tried almost 10 different values using a sample box a manufacturer sent me (wilco).

The best compromise in brightness and consumption was obtained using the mentioned inductor.

I'm waiting for some parts I ordered from digikey/samples from maxim/national & microchip for building other circuits.

enjoy

14C

Enlightened
I like it. I am more of a luxeon guy but I'm not an elitist...I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wish I could machine....envy your getting a lathe.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still never seen a luxeon in person /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm ordering parts all over to build prototypes, but the delay getting them is killing me.

This is the single disadvantage of living in Argentina and trying to build things...

Worst, I purchased an ARC AA from a fellow cpf member, to have some known light to compare to, but the friend who brought the light here (from USA) lost it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now I'm looking for another and may be an ARC LSxxx to compare the future luxeon prototypes...

On the other hand everything is cheaper here, machine shops are cheaper, labor is cheaper, PCB's prototypes are a lot cheaper, etc.

Glad you liked the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

jeff1500

Enlightened
That's a great job.

My favorite lights are the ones that can be made by hand with common parts.

Ledean

Enlightened
Well done PEU.
I am curious as to your circuit . The led's do look bright.
Care to share?
Dean

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEU,

It sure looks like CPF has a new knowledge source in you. I am looking forward to seeing some of your creations, once you get your lathe.

You might want to look here, http://www.flashlightking.com/

This is where I order my mini m@g reflectors and bezel rings. They are pretty inexpensive and ship quickly. Using these reflectors really takes some of the pains out of putting a light together. If they won't ship to you, drop me a line. I'm sure that we could work something out.

If you decide to use indexable tooling for your lathe, check this place out for inserts. http://www.carbidedepot.com/

I've even bought some of their "dollar store" inserts and they perform OK on aluminum.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure why not share?

use this circuit as the reference.

- I don't use the current limiting (or evening) R3 resistors. just put the 5 leds in parallel.
- for C2 I used a 10uF tantalium
- also removed R2, which is used as a current limiting resistor.
- used 3906 (PNP) and 3904 (NPN) transistors.
- for C2 I picked one of the small caps around don't remember the value but in between the suggested values.
- for D1 I used 1n5819 wich is pretty common (5818/17 are ok too)
- And I tried almost 10 different inductors and settled in 68uH for the 5 leds setup.

Using a 1000uH allowed me to put 16 leds in parallel without aparent loss in output, obviously these measurements are by the eyemeter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I put 5 leds and add one at a time, if I don't see a drop in intensity I keep adding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What I did not measure is battery life. may be the weekend

Man, I do want to test other circuits, but local stores don't carry them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif and shipping from USA takes tiiiiime.

glad you liked it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
PEU,

I echo what Chop said. Cool mod and I look forward to your work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ledean: the photos show ok here, try these links
1st photo, 2nd photo, 3rd photo, 4th photo

Thanks Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif... I'll post some more photos of a 7 led version with my 1st protosandwitch...

I tried to fit this sandwitch into a Maglite AA but it was a little bulky, so I fitted it in a similar holder.

Using my own eyemeter pair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I cannot tell the difference using 5 and 7 leds.

Pablo

Latest posts