Got My First Motorcycle...2-Stroke Oil?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Well not a full size motorcycle, I would seriously kill myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif A mini I just got that's a Chinese made imitation of a Blata Elite 13 today after a long wait.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I don't know much about two-stroke other than when I used to mess with gas r/c. Says to mix with synthetic oil and 92 octane. Someone told me regular motor oil is fine but that sounds funny to me. I'm supposed to use a synthetic based 2-stroke oil and not regular engine oil, correct? Any motorcrossers out there or anyone who can recommend a high grade synthetic oil I should use? I want the good stuff, not necessarily the best if too expensive but something not cheap. It's 47cc. I can't wait till Sunday! Anyone wanna race? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
Thanks for any help.

sq40a_mini-moto.jpg

LED-FX

Enlightened
looks good, welcome to 2 wheels.

Definately not motor oil for a 2 stroke engine, mebbe for the gearbox, but for engine use as marked 2 Stroke oil.

Adam

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lubricant cost is such a small portion of overall vehicle costs that it's silly to not use the best. Now as to what's the best ........

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Castrol 2 stroke oil is what I've always used, but I have heard that there is a Shaeffers 2 stroke oil now and their products are the best I've ever used.

Cool Bike! Did you but it online?

Bill

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Thanks guys for the info! No I did not buy it online, got it through one of the parts distributors at my work. Paid $400 for but if your lucky you can get it a bit cheaper on e-bay. I've seen people sell them online (not ebay) for as high as $700, but usually are around $500-$600.

41cc is still cool. Bike's to small to be going that fast anyways. The original Blatas are 40cc but are fast!

I'll take some more pictures later that will show more on how small this thing is. I drive a Honda and I brought it home in my back seat without any troubles getting it in and out.

Castrol TTS is available at auto parts store, right?
Thanks again!

mvnsnd

Newly Enlightened
DarkZero,

Try poking around in a nearby personal watercraft (Jetski) or marina store if there are any nearby. Some personal watercraft use synthetic, and you can get a decent brand/price.

--
Jeff

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
reminds me of the honda minitrail.
but it is a 50cc ohc 4 stroke.
i use klotz synthetic in my 2 strokes.
rebulding a kaw h2 750cc triple now.
dont cheap out on the oil.those tiny high rpm engines have a short enough life as it is.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
thanx for all the help fellas.

Yup Motul, excellent high quality oils, expensive though. Think I will order some Kart Grand Prix or is there another Motul type I should order?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
springnr said:
Mobil 1 MX2T you can find it at Autozone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if it's fully synthetic? I've got Motul on order but would like to break it in this Sunday. I want to ride it bad already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

thx!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snakebite,

My first street bike was the 500cc Kaw triple, the original crotch rocket. It's still my favorite bike of all time.

They were seriously pipey, but once it came up on the pipe, yeehaw!!

I'd love pics of yours when you get it done!

Bill

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bill,

My brother-in-law used to have an H2(750 2-stroke). That thing would flat out run. A while later another friend bought one set-up for drag racing. Since he lived outside the city limits, he took it for a quick run down the road. I've only seen it run once, but I bet it would beat a lot of the 750cc street bikes built today.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amsoil always seems heavily rec'd. Eh, probably most 2 stroke oils rec'd for bikes would be fine, just be careful not to use any of the W-3 rated oils rec'd for watercraft outboards-those don't have the "scuff" protection you need.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Kwaka 750 triples have a fearsome reputation (they came out a bit before my time), biggest production 2 stroke engine you can buy IIRC. Lots of scary stories of ppl putting NOX systems on them and blowing the head gaskets in spectacular fashion.

Slighty OT, but how long do you think the 2 stroke has left in road-going vehicles? Last time i picked up a bike mag, i read they were more or less outlawed for road use in California. I know they are dirty, smelly and pump out obscene amounts of pollution, but boy are they fun to ride and tinker with.
The Bimota V Due was (i think) the last attempt that im aware of to make a high performance, road going 2 stroke sportsbike, but in the end, its high tech direct injection had major problems, and the bike never sold in quantities. A pity, as its a most beautiful bike.
bimstat.jpg

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus