infrared LED reads as color under DV?

napkin

Newly Enlightened

color infrared LED under DV
      #537885 - 04/14/04 06:15 PM
Edit   Reply   Quote Quick Reply  

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows of an infrared LED that reads as any color other than white, when viewed under a Digtal camcorder.
Thanks!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This would depend greatly upon what brand of digital camera or digital videocamera you have.
With a Polaroid PDC-700 digital camera, NIR & IR LEDs begin to appear yellow around 740nm, greenish-white around 920nm, and a dim purplish color around 1,300nm - all LEDs or LED beams I've tried to photograph.

From my website, comes the following text:

Starting around 720nm, many digital cameras begin to interpret deep red and NIR light as some other color, starting with a red-orange color, progressing through yellowish orange, yellow, and purplish white. As the wavelength increases (goes even deeper towards IR) the camera's pictures show this color shift, eventually ending up with a faint violet color that is occasionally seen at wavelengths near 1064nm if the optical power is high enough (such as with YAG lasers)

My page about NIR and IR LEDs is right here if you're interested.

napkin

Newly Enlightened
Thank you ! The IR LED's that I am using are from allelectronics.com. They do not have much info on them other than: T 1 3/4 EMITTER, clear lens.
CAT# ILED-8

They look very similar to the first LED on your IR page(thank you for the page). I am using a Sony camcorder and I am getting a somewhat greenish white light from the IR LED. So, I assume that they are in the 920nm range.
I am doing color tracking with the program MAX/MSP Jitter. My interest in IR LED is that I hope that the camera can catch some color from a strong IR light source, yet the viewer or audience would not be able to see any light. I would ideally like to have diffrent color IR LED's so I can track multiple colors at once with one camera.
I tried to see if I could change the color of IR LED with lighting gels but the IR light wouldn't budge. Do you know of any way that I can alter the color of an IR LED without having to change the nm? thanks

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's the wavelength of the light which is determining how the camrea "sees" it. The only way you're likely to be able to change the colour it sees it as is to change the wavelength of the LED used. You might be able to tweak it slightly if you increase the current, but more than likely, you'd sooner cook the LED than change the colour seen by the camera to any real extent.

Canuke

Enlightened
My Sony TRV900 is a 3-chip camera and it registers 365nm UV as being a very rich green; my X5T UV thusly shows up as a kind of cyan color as the UV trips off the green sensor while the blue sensor picks up the actual blue. For the IR from remotes, the Sony shows a yellow color.

My single-chip Canon digicam, however, shows a more "realistic" purple color for the UV lights, and a rather desaturated purple for the remote.

I would expect that the representation of color from IR and UV sources is a rather unpredictable thing from manufacturer to manufacturer, as it depends on the response of visual filters in a "don't care" region. But then, if most CCD's come from a very few sources, it would be more consistent than that.

napkin

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the help. Is there any place you recomend for getting Led's of various nm?