Litepro Light Rover 1-Watt Luxeon Star Flashlight

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Litepro has introduced a new 1-Watt Luxeon Star LED flashlight, the Light Rover. It is powered by two CR123A batteries that produce a 6 - 8 hour run-time. The Light Rover is made of high density heavy duty aero-purpose aluminum alloys that has an anti-corrsosion anode acid plating on both the inside and outside of the flashlight. It has a tactical tail switch which provides both momentary "on/off" and constant "on" function. The Light Rover is also impact and water-resistant.
light_rover_package.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Nifty. The tin and holster are a nice touch - although I doubt the tin will be used for storage...

I thought commercial announcements like this were supposed to be made in the dealer's corner forum. I could be wrong.

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Re: Litepro Light Rover 1-Watt Luxeon Star Flashli

IdleProceess,

My post was not intended to be a commercial announcement. I just wanted to tell people about a new LED flashlight.

--David

idleprocess

Flashaholic

(shrugs)

Your original text read like a press release complete with price. You didn't link to it on your site, but you do sell it.

Perhaps it looks like I'm a self-appointed policy enforcer or other flavor of whiner. I'm sure the admins have more pressing concerns, and this is as far as I'm going to soapbox.

It looks like a quality light - got any specs or other details? Beamshots? The usual stuff that everyone wants?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reason I was asking, was that a well driven lux1 runs at about 350 or so ma.
Some 123 batteries are at about 1.0 amp hours.
This would put the run time at about 3 hours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
If anyone knows which batteries run a 350ma emitter for 6-8 hours, Your comment on that would be useful to more than a few of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

In my experience many if not most commercially advertised runtimes are virtually meaningless, absent specific parameters. This is not a criticism, just an observed fact. "X hours of constant on to 50% brightness" or a statement of regulation would be the very minimum of specs that I would consider informative.

Someday I hope to see certified runtests (a la Roy) included with every "high performance" LED light, eventually extended to include high-end incandescent flashlights. (I can dream, can't I?)

Brightnorm

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Litepro Light Rover Beamshots

Here is a beamshot of the Light Rover at nine feet.

light_rover_beamshot.jpg

Here is a beamshot of the Pelican M6 LED.

pelican_m6_led_beamshot.jpg

These beamshots were taken at nine feet against a white wall.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can see that you have a better product than some, but help us out here.

For example:
A 100 hour advertised runtime on 2 Coast/ledlenser lights I have that are already quickly fading after just 30 minutes on 360 ma nimh batteries with the 700ma (I Measured them)luxeons in them.
I still like them, but only because they were the best out of 50+ that I tried, and because I am one of the proud few who have the rad shack nimh N cells to use with them.
If there really are enough people out there that are gullible enough to believe and buy into product advertising like that, then I'm gonna change careers from security to high pressure car sales, or subprime real estate.

I think the rover could go 6-8 hours too, but not at a brightness that most of us would accept at the end unless there are some higher quality cr123a batteries I just havn't found yet.
I don't like saying things like that about a cpf supporter, but I really would like to see some more realistic numbers for the sake of the intelligence of most cpf members.
I will change this when someone shows us how to get a rover to go 6-8 hours and under what conditions. (promise)

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Litepro Light Rover Run-Time

In regard to the 6-8 run-time, I was only repeating what I was written in the documentation that came with the Light Rover. I will post more information on Light Rover's run-time tomorrow.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Litepro Light Rover and Pelican M6 LED Photo

Oh- ok, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
We look forward to the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If there are any particular battery types or brands that you can recommend for max runtime, That will help us out too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Litepro Light Rover and Pelican M6 LED Photo

I didn't mean to be ruff with you, but I have seen what were, arguably good products in thier own right by other sellers let people down on thier advertised specs.
That creates a no win credibility issue for seller and buyer later on down the road.
One thing that has had a seriously long runtime here is the debate on advertised runtime for portable lighting products.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PocketLights.com said:
IdleProceess,

My post was not intended to be a commercial announcement. I just wanted to tell people about a new LED flashlight.

--David

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I am happy whenever ANYONE posts about a new LS based light. I am actually keeping a "database" of the newest releases. 2004 Year Of The Luxeon!

PocketLights.com:
Can it stand it stand in candle mode?
Can you post a close up of the sheath?

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:

PocketLights.com:
Can it stand it stand in candle mode?
Can you post a close up of the sheath?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Litepro Light Rover can stand in candle mode but, it does not stand up straight.

light_rover_candle.jpg

Here is a photo of the sheath with the Light Rover inside.
light_rover_sheath.jpg

indenial

Enlightened

I have to say it does look a lot like the NUWAI ALX-512L.

(bottom left):

alx_713c.gif

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
indenial said:
I have to say it does look a lot like the NUWAI ALX-512L.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Light Rover is different because it is has a tactical tail switch which provides both momentary "on/off" and constant "on" function, a different body and different bezel. The Light Rover does not have a lanyard. See link to Nuwai ALX-512L

http://www.nuwai.com.tw/1_watt_led.htm

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

PocketLights.com:
Thank you. You have provided valuable information to those who may be considering buying this light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Litepro Light Rover Run-Time

I just spoke with Joe Tchira of Litepro. He is the designer of the Light Rover. In regard to the the Light Rover run-time he said,

[ QUOTE ]
Light Rover has the DC-DC circuit which will enable a constant level of light output throughout the life of the battery. It therefore will be at full brightness. The flip side to this is that the battery will very quickly "drop dead" to say, without indicating it's running out. It's not like when there is no DC DC that as the battery drains out the light dims out too.

DC-DC circuit also protects from wrong battery polarity insertion.

Also note that by keeping the light turned "on" for a prolonged length of time there will be some heating of the unit. This is normal of all Luxeon Star LED Flashlights because of it's power.

[/ QUOTE ]

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Litepro Light Rover Run-Time

Oh, so it's able to use up the battery's advertised mah rating of power and get at any remaining power that most other lights can't get at. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
That would be quite a good regulator to squeeze out another whole 1000+ mah from 1000mah rated batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
edit:
Forget what I said above^:
Roy pointed this out and this one by kj .

If anyone gets that light, please let us know how it did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Now where can we get some cr123a batteries that don't cost a large pizza, but still have a good mah rating? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif