Your opinion about Pelican M6 Led

Mike75

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I've seen the name of this light number of times, but only today I've got time to look for it at eBay. It looks pretty impressive, but I'd like to get some more info and maybe some beamshots before I make my decision about buying it. If there are owners of this light that can give me this kind of information - I'd appreciate it a lot. Or maybe I'd rather wait for Inova X0?
Thanks.
Michael.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Me, too. I'm weighing it with several other heavy hitters as well, namely the Streamlight TL-2, the TL-3, and the new 3W Elektrolumens 3P (Blaster III replacement) -- with the mission statement being a high-powered household light with a decent runtime, an augmentation of some other, smaller lights (SF G2, SL 3C 10 LED).

The one, possible caveat I've read against the M6 LED (for my application, anyway) is it's reported to have a very narrow beam in comparison with the others? On the other hand, maybe it's not TOO narrow? I do like the long-shelf life aspect of the lithiums (over the Elektrolumens' Ds).

Looks like that $85 Nuwai 5W light on Ebay is pretty well regarded here, as well? Anyone get there hands on some or most of these lights and can offer some thoughts?

BigWonton

Newly Enlightened
The Pelican M6 LED is one of the brightest 1W Luxeon lights out there and at $45, it's pretty much a steal. General consensus seems to be that the beams on the M6 are all very white.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I wish I could say. I have the M6 with xenon bulb and it's very impressive with enough spill to do the job and a nicely concentrated hot spot.

I also have a "fake" M6 LED made from an M6-LED body and bezel with a pelican reflector and led mount from the sandwich shoppe. It really likes the pelican reflector. A great go-to light.

The TL-3 LED has a bigger hotspot but is not brighter. I added a clickie to the tailcap of the TL-3 and like it much better now.

Daniel.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the SL TL -2LED and the PM6 LED.
I guess that I have not noticed that the PM6 beam is particularly narrow. Maybe I will remember and check it tonight.

I like the size of the TL2, and it is a very bright light, but not really comparable to the PM6 (LEDs if course.) I agree that considering the price of the PM6 it is an excellent light. Because of the smaller size I might prefer the TL2 if absolute maximum throw was not an issue. If it were, then the Pelican is a hands down winner.

You cannot go wrong with either.

Jerry

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the TL-2, and TL-3 LED, and the M6 LED.

I'll agree with Jerry as the M6 is definitely brighter (throw), has better color (white) than the SL's. The M6 does not have as wide a peripheral spill as the TL-2, although both are good. You won't trip over a root walking through the woods with either one.

The TL-3 puts out a LOT more overall light than either of the one watts, just not as focused.

I LOVE the dimunitive size of the TL-2, but that M6 sure is bright, and VERY white.

indenial

Enlightened
Pelican M6 LED is one of my favorites in it's size and class. Very bright and very white beam. I don't have the SL TL-2 LED which is comparably priced. I've heard the NUWAI 5 watter is awesome and can be found for less than 89.95.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
Craig has beam shots and lots of other info in his review of the M6 here at the LED Museum.

[/ QUOTE ]
This link is for the incandescent version of the M6.
The LED version, which I just got, is right here. I believe the LED version is what was intended here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
I've got the TL-2, and TL-3 LED, and the M6 LED.

I LOVE the dimunitive size of the TL-2, but that M6 sure is bright, and VERY white.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a tree went down in your yard in a bad night-time storm, which light would you reach for to go out and see what sort of damage was done?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I could just grab a photon. My wife, well she (ahem) pruned (cough) all our trees down to the trunk. The only one left standing is only 7 foot tall.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, I'd grab one of the pelicans if I was somewhere with trees that fall.

Daniel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely LOVE my Pelican M6 LEDs. In fact, its my favorite flashlight, including my Arc 4s and Arc LSHs.

What makes the Pelican M6 LED special, IMO is the beam quality. All 5 of mine have absolutely perfect beam...NO lines, NO blotches, NO dark spots, NO rings etc. The only flashlights I've handled that are comparable to the Pelican M6 LED in terms of beam quality are Surefires....and the LED Surefires cost over twice as much. I'm guessing the textured reflector plus using an LED accounts for the great beams? The M6 LED has a nice hotspot with good sidespill, and flawless transition between the two. Furthermore, they are VERY white. 4 of my M6 LEDs are so white that they do not show any tint when comparing them to any other flashlight. My 5th M6 LED, my only silver one, it is possible to see a green tint, but only when comparing it to the other M6 LEDs.

Great beam, plus good size:brightness ratio (small enough to EDC using the holster), good quality (fit/finish), and excellent price (for what you are getting). IMO, they are a must buy for serious collectors. Two thumbs up from me.

On an unrelated note, I received my first incadescent Pelican M6 today, and its nice, but it doesn't have the perfect beam that the LED M6 models do. The incadescent Pelican M6 beam is much, much better than a Maglite, but there are slight irregularities (lines of darkness) in the beam (very slight, but still noticable).

utomatoe

Enlightened
If you can get your hands on a pre-m*g settlement M6 LED, it's focuable as well. So you can get great throw and a so-so flood (with an ugly hole in the middle).

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps that doughnut hole in the middle being copied by another manufacturer didn't go over well with M*g either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Has anybody else ever fixed that focussing doughnut hole problem other than to simply abandon the focussing concept?

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
I wish it were regulated (it's not), but it's one of the brightest LED flashlights out there, it's pretty cheap, it's gloriously white, it's well made, and it's got an absolutely perfect, lovely beam. In other words, what they said (flashlightmuseum.com, for example).

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd like to re-emphasize that the pelican M6 LEDs are very very WHITE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
I love mine. Probably one of the best 1W out there for the money.

luxlover

Banned
Remember this Eric. I was the one to lead you on the path of righteousness, by suggesting you buy an M6 LED!

Although there are many "out there", who don't believe that there is any 1 watt Luxeon LED that is pure white, I ask them all to read my lips........."The M6 LED's light is pure unadulterated, bright, gleaming, and blinding WHITE." I have nothing more to say on the matter........

Luxlover has spoken