Pilas with the KL4

nirad

Enlightened
Being fairly new to this forum, and learning a little as I go , can someone "enlighten" me on the Pila Cells? My first SF E2e is in the mail , and still searching for a KL4 to go along with it. How is output effected from the extra juice from the Pila mod, and how is it done?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
not sure about using them in the kl4 (many people are experienced in that area though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), but i've been using one in my e2e with a 5w mclux pr head, and i love it.

being able to use the light without worring about wasting the batteries is nicer than i imagined it could be...

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nirad,

I don't know a whole lot about the pilas to tell you the truth. I do know that it is not really a "mod." You just pop in the 168s cell, and voila!

I own a L4, which is basically an official name for a E2e that comes with the KL4 instead of the incandescent bezel. It is quite a nice light. Hunting down a KL4 is well worth it! I bought seperately a incandescent bezel, but use the KL4 WAY more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
nirad,

Get in touch with www.jsburlys.com and order you some 168S's. You'll love yourself for it. The L4 runs wonderfully on the 168S. The only thing to watch out for is that you may need to put a small solder blob on the anode contact of the KL4 so that the batt can make contact. Some have used a small rare earth magnet to accomplish this too.

MrMom

Enlightened
I Have ben using the Pila 186s in the Surefire L-4 and L-5 for six months now. The cells and charger were purchased from John B. a respected dealer on CPF. These cells are superb, the best $$$ spent. The cells provide a consistant 50+ minutes of steady light in the 4 and 5. Light it up because there is no longer a reason to be skimpy with the photons because they're nearly free. For the 4 and 5, Pilas are a no-brainer. They are a must have if you intend to USE you lights. I carry a spare 186s in a Walmart $0.97 waterproof match container.

The Pilas do not supply "extra juice" infact runtime is a bit shorter than a cr123a option.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Another good experience with Pila's 168s in surefire L4, Scorpion with stinger Bulb,McLux 2x123A. Pila's 150s in Surefire L6, Hyperlux V. JonSydneyB is my unique source for rechargeable batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I am very satisfied by these products, no more 123A to buy for some of my flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Without forgets my RC123A that I use in my ARC4+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pilas and KL4 are perfect together. Expect to get about an hour of regulated runtime. Because of regulation, you won't take a hit on brightness. It should be just as bright on Pilas as 2x123.

DBrier

Enlightened
Bought Pilas for my L4 when I got the light. The Surefire batteries that came with the light are still in the box.
It is the only way to go and Jon is the best person to get them from.

It lets me play with and use the light all the time because I'm not worrried about batteries anymore. Another big advantage is not haveing to worry about how much energy is left in the 123s. When i doubt, just top them off in the charger. No more throwing away half used 123 cells.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Nirad,

I also use the Pila's in an L4. It is a great combination and Jon is a great person to deal with.

Tom

E

Emilion

Hello~
I don't have a L4, but the Pila 168s runs perfectly in my L5 and Night Fighter 2, TwinTask 2L.....

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
neo>
it will not work with the E2e. The 168s works best with regulated lights or with lights meant for its voltage

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
will the pilas work with an E2e or a pelican M6 led?

[/ QUOTE ]The Pila 168S produces 3.7V, but has a very flat discharge curve, so the voltage actually stays a little over 3V for a long long time. The KL4 head will work on 3V and is actually in regulation when input voltage is between 3V and 6V. So the Pila actually manages to stay just above the threshold for KL4 regulation for about 50min. That's why it works so great for the KL4. It will work even better for the KL1 (except for the possibility of overdischarge, though I understand that these are not bare cells and there is a protection circuit built in.)

The E2 requires close to 6V to work well. The best thing you could do is use 2 150S cells in a Vitalgear body. This is the one from Tactical Aught(sp?) Design that takes 3 CR123 cells and mates with the E series of SureFire flashlights.

Edit: Terribly sorry. I had a look a TADGear and couldn't find the VitalGear body listed. Maybe they are no longer being carried?