Will this work? (lithium battery question)

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on a little project that I would like to use 3 lithium ion cell phone batteries in series. I would also like to be able to charge them from the original cell phone charger, but they cannot be charged in series with that. Is it ok for me to wire them in series and parallel at the same time, and charge them in parallel? Here's a crude drawing of what I want to do, I would be charging on the 3.6v side.
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=134701098&photoID=134701201&security=GOPMII

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RussH

Enlightened
I can't get to your pictures. Obviously, you cannot have them in series and parallel at the same time, you need some kind of switch. There's no reason you can't use them in series and charge them in parallel, or seperately if that is easier.

Tweek

Enlightened
You can have series wiring OR parallel wiring, but not both at the same time. If you try it, you'll basically be wiring every cell's termial together, which would result in 3 short circuits, lots of heat, possibly fire, etc... Not good.

As far as charging and using, you could do that, but it would be a PITA if you plan on doing it often...

Chris

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not put them in series (and leave them there) and charge them in either three passes with a single charger, or with three chargers wired together (and with four four contacts to the battery pack)?

Doug Owen