Modding Pelican M6 is it easy/worth it?

LoveCraft

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, ive seen a pelican m6 for sale around me and its rather reasonable. Ive seen some sweet mods out there for these lights as was woundering how hard is it to mod a flashlight? ive had no experience so i would be starting as a novice. Ive looked at' http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/home.htm
and the end result looks good. Is it worth buying the m6 and modding it or looking for another flashlight to buy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
thanks
Lovecraft

McGizmo

Flashaholic
LoveCraft,

Obviously a lot has to do with your desired results as well as your skills and tools available. One advantage with doing mods on the PM6 is that if you go the McModule route, your "mod" is a module that can be interchanged back and forth with the stock module. If you want a brighter flood beam, you can do a module with a 5W LED. If you want a longer runninglightat less luminous output, you can do a 1W or LuxIII with step down converter providing lower current. You can make modules with colored LED's for task specific uses.

The M6 is a mid priced light that is "honest" in design and function and open to architectural change and modularity.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I can vouch for the McModule. It's easy to work with and provides a way to change back to stock with relative ease.

The PM6 with McModule, DB700 and TV1K is a great combination that should yield 45 lumens for 90 minutes before dropping out of regulation for another hour and a half or more.

The only tools needed are a soldering iron, some epoxy and pliers.

Daniel