Inova UV Owners

H

Halobitt

First of all "Damn you, damn you all to hell". This is my first post and I registered recently, but have been dipping in and out of CPF for months now. You guys have got me hooked on LED torches and my family lay the blame for my newfound obsession squarely on all of you.
Anyway, courtesy of ebay I've got my hands on a CMG reactor 3AA, Arc lsl, and two x Inova X5t (white). Arc was my favourite for use but recently have lost it same time as an X5t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
Inova UVs keep calling to me from pages of ebay so I think its time to get one. Before I part with cash, all you UVt owners out there, how much do you use them? Uneccessary gadget or useful tool? And safety wise does anyone know if eye protection should be worn when LEDs reflect off surfaces eg. tiles /socks. Is UV light absorbed or does any bounce back?
You CPFrs are the bees knees, keep up the good work.
Thanks,
Iain.

zumlin

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

I don't have one yet but I'm thinking of getting one soon. UV protection should be worn even when they reflect of surfaces for UV is really bad for your eyes

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF Halobitt! And too late, you're already parting with your disposable income. Just don't give up your non-disposable income, eh? Family won't like that.

I rarely buy anything light-related on ebay, I'd rather purchase it here, either on B/S/T or from one of our reputable dealers.

For example, you have a fondness for Inova, right now you can get a regular X5T from Meridian Tactical for $28.95 and a X5T-UV for $45.95. That must be better than most prices on ebay for brand new.

So, I welcome you and commend you to the community, with other helpful dealers like countycomm, TTS, batterstation and brightguy, you'll do fine buying "in the family." Of course, a number of our erstwhile members also sell on ebay effectively and with integrity.

daloosh

BTW, in my UV search I started with the Countycomm keychain UV, moved up to the Arc, and now I feel ready for the X5T, which should be the best and brightest of the bunch!

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Iain:

Welcome to CPF. Enjoy the ride!

I have an Inova UV, but don't use it. Of course, that's because I have no real need to use it--I figure that a good UV light will round up my collection of flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Having said that, if you think you might have a need for one, you'll find that the construction is great and is identical to your existing X5 light. Good for seeing all the dirt on one's carpet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or seeing how good your aim is in the bathroom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I dare not take UV light into a bar restroom. Towards the end of the night there's more urine on the floor than in the toilet... I guess there's more really drunk people than I thought...

Darell

Flashaholic
I admit that I only use mine for fun, but much fun it is! An amazing amount of output from these buggers. For a more limited budget, I'd hold out for a more useful "tool" though.

Welcome to the club. Now hand over all your money.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. You think you got it bad - I'm also into 4-wheeling. Did you know that JEEP is an acronym. It stands for Just Empty Every Pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif. I think we could also apply that to the disease that all of us here are afflicted with. It's not that hard to catch, but there ain't no cure - no matter how many lights you buy.

So many lights - so little money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif.

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Some uses for UV
-Counterfeit currency detection. Produces enough UV to easily check a bill in normal ambient light.
$5 US bill (blue strip)
$10 US bill (red strip)
$20 US bill (green strip)
$50 US bill (yellow strip)
$100 US bill (red-orange strip)

-Check credit cards- Discover Cards have "NOVUS", MasterCard have "M C", and Visa has an eagle in UV ink.
-Forensics (using "Luminol", etc to show blood, semen, etc)
-Curing UV adhesives
-Scorpion/insect hunting
-Parties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-Activation of fluorescent inks/dyes used as anti-counterfeiting measures
-Checking hand stamps at clubs
-Examining artwork and glasswork for hidden repairs
-Small UV source will fit inside and behind objects
-Find urine stains (i.e. at the hotel before you hop in bed!)
-Scan a crime scene for foreign materials
-Locating damaged/cracked glassware
-Identify Vaseline glass easily(garage salers know about this) - It glows!
-Fluorescing diamonds- some will glow in the dark
-Mechanics use UV dye to detect engine leaks.

Best regards,
Randy

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Minor addition to Randy's extensive list:
Amex cards have "AMEX" on them, with a centurion graphic in the middle of the card.

daloosh

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these and one of TheFire's 6W UV mod. The Inova is great for sucking spent 123's dry. Even with spent cells, they can still put out damaging emissions. I recommend getting some UVEX eye protection. I use mine for hunting scorpions which I guess can be considered fun. I have a toddler and the last thing I want in and around my house are these little buggers.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
Any user comparisions to the 7 LED UV light reviewed by Craig, brought up by LightScene's post?

[/ QUOTE ]
I took this comparative picture of the 7-LED 385nm flashlight and the Inova X5T UV flashlight:

cmpx57uv.jpg

The 7-LED flashlight is on the left; the Inova is on the right.
As far as fluorescence goes, they're almost the same. When aimed at a fluorescent yellow-green Pelican Sabrelite and a day-glow orange UPS tag, the flashlights are almost equal in their ability to cause these objects to fluoresce, with a very slight edge going to the Inova in these two tests.

(Edit, a moment later)
I tried them on a day-glow green USPS sticker, and on a commemorative glass insulater, and they're pretty much the same, with perhaps a very slight edge going to the 385nm 7-LED flashlight this time.

LightScene

Enlightened
Keep in mind that in the comparison photo you are seeing the VISIBLE light emitted by these flashlights. With a UV (or Black light), less visible light is better. The 7 led light outperforms the Inova, as shown in this photo.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I realize the photos may not necessarily represent the UV output; I was going by Craig's description of their effectiveness- Craig indicated the X5 was about 405nm, the 385nm would be better for its purpose.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
I decided to go with a light on eBay being sold by a user known as xenopus. It's a converted 3D Mag that's really well done. It has 32 12mV 395nm LEDs and really puts out the UV. The conversion is really well done. He even takes the time to turn down the relector to a little ring that surrounds the LEDs. I'm really happy with it. It sure does put the charge into glow paint. Definately get some shooter's glasses. You can get them at Wal-Mart. There yellow and have UV protection. Even the relected UV makes your eyes go buggy if you're not wearing them. I use mine for finding scorpions as well.