Car Kit?

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was cleanout out the car kit I keep in my trunk now that it's spring, and was wondering if I was missing anything. Any thoughts?

-Mike

abrasive material for traction - cat litter/gravel
blanket
cell phone battery/charger
centerpunch
duct tape
fire extinguisher (5 lb. A-B-C- type and/or Halon)
first aid kit
flashlights w/ extra batteries (I guess the number is a personal thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
fuses
high-energy and non-perishable food (powerbars/granola bars)
jeans and long sleeve shirt
jumper cables
matches
plastic gloves
rags
shovel, small
snow scraper
telephone change
tire sealant
tools (pliers, wrench, screwdriver, etc)
tow chain
zip ties (aka cable ties)

EDITs (from CPFers):
flares, electronic, regular, or better yet both (was_jlh)
chemical light sticks (14C)
paperback book (14C)
trash bags (14C)
water, freezable in winder (was_jlh)
water jug, plastic (Xrunner)
boots and Thermal Socks (Big_Ed)
pair of bread bags, use as emergency gators (Big_Ed)
pocket Knife, 3 incher (kakster)
'instant' ice packs (Datasaurusrex )
CPR 'mask' (Datasaurusrex )
first aid book (BF_Hammer)
emergency Candles (BF_Hammer)
waterproof Matches (BF_Hammer)
toilet Paper (Xrunner)

14C

Enlightened
Add a couple of plastic trash bags. Lots of uses for those.

I keep both regular flares and chemical light sticks also. I have found times where one or the other was better suited to a situation. A lot of people recommend a paperback book to read in case you get stuck trying to travel over the Sierra during a winter road closure.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent point... I have a set of Turboflares in mine but they didn't make it on the list. I wonder if there ever are cases when the old "fire" flares would work better than the new ones, besides lighting things on fire?

-Mike

EDIT: I'm going to plan on editing in any suggestions to the first post for easy of viewing if that works for everyone.

14C

Enlightened
Starting fires is one of the things they are EXCELLENT for...

I have found that when there is no need to worry about open flame they regular highway flares provide the best visibility.

I have not seen the Turboflares so I don't know how they compare.

was_jlh

Enlightened
I prefer the flame-type of flare also, easier to see.

14C's suggestion of plastic bags is good, started doing this last fall and have already used several.

You may presume this in your food category, but how about sealed container(s) of water?

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Water is a good thing, but it's a good idea to make sure you squeeze out the air part way, so if things do freeze the container doesn't burst. Personally I use a 48oz Nalgene for water, along with a few smaller bottles of Aquafina. The Nalgene also can be used if you need to fill a radiator or the like.

-Mike

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a pair of boots and a pair of thermal socks. If you've ever gotten your feet wet, you know how valuble they can be. Also a pair of bread bags to put on over your socks to keep your feet dry if you have to hike through the snow if your car dies.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a decent blade? A decent 3" folder doesnt take up much room, and will handle most cutting tasks you're likely to come across.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Also, most inexpensive first aid kits (osha approved ones) often lack two very important items...
1)'instant' ice packs
2) CPR 'mask' (cheap 1 way valve and plastic protector)

The ice packs are really handy to have... and they can make you the 'hero' of a meeting if somebody needs one and you happen to have on in your car.

I also keep a first aid book in my car for quick refrence (certian pages marked and highlighted).

Spring loaded centerpunchs rock! You might want to consider keeping it in the visor or between the seats , instead of in your kit -- for quick access in case YOU need to break your own window in order to exit your vehicle.

I also keep an NBC mask in my car. No, I'm not paranoid about WWIII or a dirty bomb... it is there in case of a riot situation where the police deploy teargas and I happen to be nearby. This has occured in Seattle a few times in the last few years, and since I spend a lot of time downtown I don't think it's too far-fetched to think I might encounter such a scenerio.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I don't keep as much in my kit, but during colder weather I keep a couple of emergency candles inside a small-sized empty coffee can. Light a candle and place it inside the can for making heat. I also keep some do-it-yourself waterproof matches in the can also (match heads dipped into candle wax).

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggests... I can't believe I forgot the toilet paper on the list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Mike

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, yeah! How about a couple of those heat packs that you squeeze or nead together to make heat- kinda like a thermacare heat wrap. Instant heat. They even make ones to fit inside gloves and boots, and they are supposed to last for several hours. I've seen ones that can be reused by putting them in the microwave to recharge them, and they are ready for use. I believe they have a very long shelf life.

Latest posts