Has anyone seen the new Gerber Infinities?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I understand that the new Gerber infinities are out? If so can anyone post a picture as I'd really like to see the new tailcap.

Thanks
Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Gerber Infinities are out but they look exactly like the old CMG version except for the Gerber logo. TTS has some in stock and there's a picture up on their site. I don't think the vrsion with the new tailcap is out yet.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I got both of mine from Battery Station yesterday and paulr is correct - they look just like the CMG units although both have mine have very centered LEDs. With CMG it was always a crapshoot unless you looked closely before buying.

batterystation

Enlightened
I was really disappointed when I got our order of Infinities and they were the same housings. Not that it is a bad design, but everything I heard made me believe that when I got "Gerber" models that they would be the new twist tailcaps as in THEIR book. I am not happy. I like the new colors, but they still can't tell me when the design changes. I am sorry about that. I used to be very well connected and now it is like trying to find help at a super market. (sorry Gerber) I will keep everyone posted.

flashlite

Enlightened
I just heard back from Gerber. They told me that if all goes well, the new Infinities with the tail switch will be available in August or September 2004.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I just saw one today at REI. The only body color they had was black. It had a clip, but I don't think there was a lanyard. I believe the price was about $20.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing still no battery retainer like Arc to stop battery rattle? Really my only complaint about the Infinity/Ultra.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The REI store where I spotted the Gerber Infinity Ultra is located in Cary, NC, a suburb of Raleigh. It was not the new style. Just the same old Ultra, but black colored.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
I'm guessing still no battery retainer like Arc to stop battery rattle? Really my only complaint about the Infinity/Ultra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a small o-ring around the nipple on the cell.

Works a treat, as the saying goes....

Doug Owen

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
infinity_ultra.jpg

http://www.pocketlights.com/infinity_ultra.asp

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered a couple of red Infinitys from Brightguy a while ago. The called me up and told me it would be a while because they were switching CMG-->Gerber and they didn't know how long it would take before the new relationship/orders got sorted out. No worry I said, just put it on backorder and charge me when they finally ship. A little while ago they called and indicated they now had the stock, do I still want the lights? Sure, send 'em!

Well, it is the fabled tailcap Infinity:

Gerber Infinity Image Gallery
compare1-800x600.jpg

First impressions:

- Finish. Matte black. I like it. Would prefer HAIII, but what do you expect. Thumbs up.
- Clip. Mucho beefer. Thumbs up.
- New tailcap look. I like it. Thumbs up.
- Tailcap activation. Hmm. I kinda like the other way around. Thumbs slightly down.
- Threads. More and finer threads. I think this is better.
- Interior is coated. Thumbs up.
- Springs on *both* sides inside. No rattles. Thumbs up.
- O ring. Smaller. Thumbs down.
- Lanyard. No. Thumbs down.
- Battery. Check. Duracell, exp dt 2011.
- Slightly taller! Thumbs down.

Weight
Old: 30g
New: 34g

Another interesting thing, and I don't know if this is an accident or not, but with the springs and threads set up the way they are, you can do push to activate!

In general, I'd say that while Gerber obviously did try to cut costs (smaller O ring, springs aren't exactly super heavy duty), I think they also made a genuine effort to improve the product (better clip, no rattle, interior coating, better looks IMO).

-john

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
From your description, the Ultra sounds like it has most definately been improved. While the new design is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye than the older version, it also is more phallic...yeah, i need to get my mind out of the gutter.
Now all we need is for CountyComm to make Ultra-G's with this design...then it'll definately be hard...anodized.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting...

I'm not sure if I prefer the old or the new style. Are the new ones available in silver and green as well?

batterystation: look on the bright side, at least you helped people like me get in on the CMG Ultra - with real CMG lettering and lanyard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I bought mine long after CMG was acquired.

watt4

Enlightened
looks fine. but there are more openings to keep sealed.
I wonder why they "bothered" to change the case. maybe so the new ones can be fabricated from tubing? wonder if they will come out with a 2xAA version, and use the same end cap

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Have you been able to compare the LED quality to the older version?...I have bought several of the County Comm Ultra-Gs and was always very happy with the consistent and smooth beam quality.I am curious if Gerber continues this tradition.Also does it appear to have the same run time as the old version?

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty much underwhelmed. More ways for water to get in and you still can't use it "candle mode"? Too bad, it WAS a great light.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure how you guys figure there are more places for water to get in. I only see one opening.

I don't have any old red Infinitys to compare. Since this is a red, the beam isn't completely nice like the whites can be. I'd describe it more as evenly ringy rather than blotchy, which in my mind makes it OK for a red.

The main area where the light is less robust is the screw edge of the tailcap. It is thin enough that you could probably crush it somewhat with enough abuse. The old one doesn't have any areas I can find that has any edges this thin.

As for why, I don't know. Maybe they just wanted to put their fingerprint on it. I assume this design reduces costs in some way. Perhaps the tailcap is stamped instead of milled. Dunno. It might be more obvious if you pulled the spring sectinos out, but I'm not inclined to do that to mine (don't know if it would go back together).

-john