UK 2L with led head

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a fight with my wallet I ordered a 2L. I switched heads with my UK 4aa eled. It makes a real small 2 123 batt powered light. The small form factor combined with the superb regulation make for a sweet light. I have been using it for everything now...for about two weeks. Mentaly, the light (head) output seems more impressive mounted in the small body. Roy found the 4 aa setup ran 13 hours (very solid) before the big death drop. I would guess the 123 setup will run close to 10 hours solid.

Its no Pelican M6 led at the start, but leave them both on for 2 hours...and the little UK continues to trot along brightly for many more hours (maybe 8?) while the M6 crawls dimmly in agoney, begging for a batt change.

I was unsure if I wanted to spend the 25 bucks to get the 2L body...but glad I did.

BTW...as I said...put the 2L head on the 4AA and... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif Can`t think of anything nice to say about that. The beam is just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Ken

paulr

Flashaholic
I think someone already did a test and found that the eLED head runs for around 8 hours on the 2L body with 2x123. Nice combo but I think I'll stick with the shorter-running xenon head on my 2L.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I got about 7-8hrs steady in 2L and 17-18hrs steady in UK4AA with L-91's. With the incandescent lamp the 2L is still the smallest, lightest, toughest longest-burning waterproof 2x123 in its class.

Brightnorm

nightshade

Enlightened
The two lamps I purchased are nice,one has a slight violet tint,the other is very white and neutral,with no tints.The xenon 2L makes a excellent inspection flashlight for electrical workers,etc.The led version turns the light into a great emergency kit/storm season light.I have several of the original bezels with no rubber coating, they are highly distracting with the xenon lamp,but with the addition of the led lamp it creates a not as harsh, very wide sidespill.

paulr

Flashaholic
Kitelights, are you guessing that, or have you heard something?

The 2L seems like sort of an orphaned product. They don't market it very much, and it's way overpriced by today's standards (it comes with two CR123's that used to cost around $7 each, which accounted for most of the light's retail price, but that retail price hasn't changed since those days).

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Straight from the horse's mouth, but no details. Don't know when, price or anything else.

UK has quite a few LED irons in the fire as well as continued upgrades. They appear to be aggressively pursuing the LED market.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Kitelights, are you guessing that, or have you heard something?

The 2L seems like sort of an orphaned product. They don't market it very much, and it's way overpriced by today's standards (it comes with two CR123's that used to cost around $7 each, which accounted for most of the light's retail price, but that retail price hasn't changed since those days).

[/ QUOTE ]
And yet this relatively "ancient" light with incandescent lamp (#480 lamp recently standardized in 4AA and 2L is consistantly bright and well focused, unlike its predecessors) the 2L is still the smallest, lightest, brightest, toughest, longest-burning, end-standing waterproof 2x123 in its class. (Can you tell I like it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Heh, I like it too, though 1) I think its end-standing ability is accidental; it's very wobbly and it would be great if the made that flat spot bigger, and 2) I'm not sure what the 2L's "class" is, but the E2e/E2o is a little bit smaller (though not lighter). These days, various considerably smaller but much more expensive 1x123 LED lights (Arc4, Firefly) put out about as much light as the 2L xenon, with comparable runtime on a per-cell basis. The 2L+eLED is hard to beat for a long-running, moderately bright EDC though. Have you switched to it from your 2xL91 LSH-P setup?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Paulr,

I'm surprised that you remembered my 2xL91 LSH-P carry! Actually I EDC'd the 2L first and then the ARC, and you're right about similar total output between the ARC, 2L and FireFly but they can't match its long-throw focused beam, which used to be more important to me than a broad swath of light which I've come to appreciate. In fact, my entire EDC is now LED (The ARC, L4, McLux PR-T917/E2E, AAA & Photon II). I only carry the 2L in cooler weather in the pocket of a jacket or coat, as an extra light.

Ironically I've extolled the virtues of a light I rarely use but I have a real fondness for the 2L. Friends who received them as gifts always liked them and even though Flashaholics complain about their expense $25.00 isn't exhorbitant for such a tough, capable little light that lasts indefinitely.

"Its class"? Good point; what eaxctly is the little bugger's class? Maybe it's in its own class because it's still unique after all these years. I can't think of another incandescent light of its size with all its capabilities.

I discovered the standing-on-end by accident, and you may be right that it's an incidental feature. The UK 4AA also stands on end but with difficulty.

BTW, I was initially disappointed by the LED module's low output but I've come to appreciate its excellence in 2x123 or 4AA version.

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Norm, I remembered your 2xL91 LSH-P because of its surprisingly long 5 hour runtime on L91's (vs. a small fraction of that on NiMH or alkalines). So I'd wondered if you'd switched (or considered switching) it to the 2L/eLED which runs even longer, and shares batteries with your other CR123 lights. Of course the 2L Xenon throws further but doesn't last as long. Would you say the eLED is bright enough for the tasks you carry the LSH-P for?

The main other light that I'd describe as being in the 2L (xenon)'s class is the PT Rage, but the 2L wins the comparison.

I've actually found that my Arc4+ Second puts out about as much total light as the 2L/xenon, but the beam is less focused, and of course the runtime is shorter if you keep it on level 1. I think by switching judiciously between level 1 and a lower level, runtime is at least comparable. With a 2x123 battery tail, the Arc4's runtime should be quite impressive.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll also chime in as another big fan of the 2L. The 2L is actually my very first 123 cell light, reason being UKE is one of the few brands that are available here. Up till today I am still impressed by the output and runtime. Sure it may not beat the E2e as such, but what it lacks for in throw compared to the E2e (or other 2x123 incans) it makes up for in waterproofness, ruggedness and runtime. Plus with the flexibility now to swap LAs into a LED setup, its virtually unbeatable in its class!

What class should this light be in you say? "A+" class, if you ask me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
(it comes with two CR123's that used to cost around $7 each, which accounted for most of the light's retail price, but that retail price hasn't changed since those days).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been carrying an L2 for years, albeit in an EDC bag. Still haven't found anything to beat it for small, light-weight, tough, bright. But I digress - my main point is that if you are paying more than $1.00 each for Sanyo 123's or $1.25 for Surefires and Eveready's, you should check out www.botac.com. Check often and keep an eye out for specials (they happen often).

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paulr was referring to when these lights first came out, 123s were not as readily available as they are now, particularly at the $1-1.25 price. In fact, the average consumer today, if they don't know about our more cost effective sources, will still pay $6-8 per cell in a drug store or WalMart.

You might want to check out Battery Station who is a CPF sponsor and carries their own brand of 123s for $1 each. These cells have shown to perform within 2-3% of SFs. You will like Kevin and his top rated customer service.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip on Battery Station. I'm sure I've ordered from them before, I just don't remember what. FYI, if you look really hard you can find CR123's for as low as $16.95 each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif It pays to shop around if you are having trouble getting rid of all that extra cash.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
...With a 2x123 battery tail, the Arc4's runtime should be quite impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paulr,

Do you know when/if that 2x123 ARC 4 is coming out?

BN

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't remember a specific schedule for the 2x123 Arc4 pack but Peter has mentioned a few times that he's planning to do one. It's not a different light, just a different battery pack for the existing Arc4/4+. The head section senses the voltage automatically and does the right thing. A few modders have already made their own 2x123 packs which work fine AFAIK.

Latest posts