Tired of rain drops spoiling your beam?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used my SF L4 in "wet" environments and have been pleased except for the weird beam distortions which occur when smears and droplets of water get all over the lens. And so I got to thinking, if Rain-X works on windshields, why not on Pyrex lenses? Well, it does, and wonderfully! I clean the lens with Windex first, then apply 3 coatings with a cotton swab and buff with a cotton cloth. Now the lens repels water like quicksilver. The beam stays beautiful and the lens even seems to resist finger prints to some degree.

I would not use this on any plastic lens or on any pre-treated lens like the FlashlightLens UCL but it should work fine on Borofloat and Pyrex. Also, be very careful if there is O-ring exposure near the lens. The solvents in Rain-X can do damage to most plastics and rubbers.

Enjoy!
Wilkey

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course this is a great idea but if my family ever caught me doing the Rain-X tweak, I'd N-E-V-E-R hear the end of it. The inlaws would find out, the neighbors, my few friends. It could be the beginning of the end, maybe a trip to the funny farm, a legal battle, an intervention, alcohol, drugs...gotta...stop...this...insanity.......

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent idea, Wilkey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I'm going to try this out today.

Britt

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat!

When I'm in the shower, though, I really like the beam distortions and artifacts. One reason I take my FF in the shower with me. The other is that I have actually gotten caught in the shower when the lights went out. That's not really my idea of fun. Piece of advice: if that happens to you, and you don't have a flashlight, just stay there and enjoy the hot water and the soothing darkness. Fumbling around for a towel in the dark on or near a very hard and sometimes slippery surface can be dangerous.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,
When I'm showering, I typically EDC the SL-35X. I like long showers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wilkey

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey, first off I want to commend you on all of the hard work for the MC and Tiger light threads. Second, the pyrex is treated in much the same way the UCL lens is. They both have an optical coating on them. That is why I feel that the rain X would not hurt any glass lens....

I too agree that using it on plastic is not a good idea

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have a Dorcy cool blue that lives permanently in the bathroom. There is no light actually in our shower so it's kind of dim in there without the light. Change the batteries like twice a year.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
JUST outside of my shower door, hanging on a nail, is a water resistent 2D light. I think I could find it in total darkness.

However, I shower in the morning or late afternoon. Never in total darkness.

Iam not going to let raindrops or shower drops worry me!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever taken a shower with a waterproof light shining upward from the drain area? Kinda funky.

Thanks for the nice words bushman. js has reduced all the theory to practice for the Tigerlight. I seem to be behind the MC. They are both worthy platforms with their own strengths and weaknesses. I've really enjoyed parallel developments. We're both headed towards a very bright cliff and then...photon madness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to take a bath with my ARC AAA RGB. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey