ARC LSH-S and E1E & KL-1 output question??

juancho

Enlightened
I have a E1E that I would like to add a KL-1 head IF the output of white light is going to be an improvement over the stock Mn1 lamp.
For comparison I have my ARC LSH-S which I like very much and for which I paid $60.00 IF I spend another $60.00 in the KL-1 head, will the output be similiar to my ARC??
I don't care much for the E1E stock lamp (15 lumens of yellow light)
The KL-1 is rated to 16 lumens, this white light will be significant better than the yellow light of the MN 1 lamp?

Juan C.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the KL1...but I think I saw a thread where folks were putting the KL4 head on the E1 body and liking it. Might want to look the thread up.

Ken

McGizmo

Flashaholic
juancho,

I think the MN01 lamp has become obsolete with the advent of the Luxeons. IMHO, you will be happier with either a KL1 or other Luxeon solution for the front end.

sidespill

Enlightened
The KL-1 compared to your mno1 would appear very white. If you compared a KL1 to some of your other LEDs it may appear somewhat purplish. If you have basic modding skills you can swap the LED (search "KL1") when you get a better one it comes with a low dome stock. A very white low dome is kinda rare.

juancho

Enlightened
Hi!! Badbeams McGizmo and Sidespill: Thank you for your input, and yes probably I will never be happy with incandescent low output (15 lumens) lamps ever again.
I have a great KL-4 head installed in a E1E (but my wife took possession of it) it is one I got thru Carpe Diem, 1 watt R2H LED driven by a B. B. 600 modified by yourself (McGizmo) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif it is a fantastic light!! But my wife doesn't give it back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I also have a L-4 Lumamax and a Baby Pin, after having these lights I can not be happy if I don't do something about the extra E1E .
So, the cheapest solution that occurs to me is to buy a KL-1 head, about $60.00 but ONLY if the output is comparable at least to my ARC LSH-S.
From hence the original question: is the KL-1 as good as the ARC LSH-S??
I just recently installed a KL-3 head in a C-2 Centurion, it is a big light, but good as a house flashlight and the output is o.k.
Will the KL-1 compare to the KL-3 in light output?
I am still searching for an answer to this; a better solution is to get another McGizmo Kl-4 mod. But two things prevented me, Carpe Diem sold out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifand I am fresh out of big money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
Maybe one of you has the same combination and can try it for me: an ARC LSH-S against a KL-1 in an E1E?
Thanks to all.
Juan C.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL1 has a low dome, and will not compare with an Arc LSH in brightness, color, or throw.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The color of the KL1s is pretty variable, and the beam pattern is much different than the Arc LSH with high dome LEDs. My first KL1 was very green, the second very purplish, and both had color variation within the beam which seems to be normal with the low dome LED and NX05 optic. Try the KL1 before you buy to see what the color is, or be prepared to modify it. The KL1 beam is pretty wide and even, brightness-wise, and the Arc LSH should have a squarish middle with a round center hotspot and a big dim spill, and even color throughout. I didn't like any of those, or the colors, so I changed them all to Fraen optics and high domes. If you are fussy about the color of white, it'll be really difficult to get satisfaction if you try to compare Luxeons side by side.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
juancho,
I have five KL1s and one KL3. All of my KL1s and KL3 have a purple tint. They are very similar in color and brightness.
If you are satisfied with the KL3, I think you will like the KL1 because it's smaller.

I have had two LSH-S and I still have one. The ARCs are much whiter than any of the Surefire KL1s.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think surefire should phase out the MN01 and start shipping the E1e with the KL1 as standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sidespill

Enlightened
I think the KL-1 should get updated by surefire. slap a 3W and a reflector on there. low dome one watters seem like old technology for cutting edge surefire.

juancho

Enlightened
So, what you guys are saying is that the stock KL-1 in not worth the trouble and that is old technology! So I should mod. the KL-1 with a high dome Luxeon or a 3 watts Luxeon with a reflector, I Imagine the reflector's one will go in a E1E's stock head.
Is anybody doing mod. to the KL-1 head? I don't have the skills, and how much is to mod. with a good Luxeon?
And the second question: Is somebody doing a Luxeon mod. in the stock E1E head?
Thanks to all!

Juan C.

Latest posts