Newbie question about SF E2O

lbonser

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my first two Surefires--one was sort of an impluse buy and the other a little more thought out.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the amount of light that comes out of these little things, but I think there's something wrong with the E2O tailcap.

It only does momentary--I can screw it down all the way, and it doesn't do constant on. I'm wondering if the tailcap is somehow defective, but from what I've heard about SF, this is doubtful. It was a demo model at a local gunshow, so it's going to be hard to track down the dealer. I'm wondering if the tailcap was somehow switched with another light?

Any way to fix this myself, or otherwise diagnosis what might be wrong.

Also, is there any way to replace the E2O tailcap with something that works like the Streamlight Scropion? (Click on, click off, pressure=momentary on)

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The clickie switch for your E2O is the Z57. This is the same switch that comes standard on a L4. You can buy them on B/S/T or from dealers if you can find them in stock.

I'm not sure if you can fix your LOTC, but Surefire will repair or replace it.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Either the cap is bottoming out on the battery body before the contact "slug" is making a good contact with the lip of the battery tube or you have some non conductive debris on the battery tube lip or the lip of the "slug". If it's the latter, you should be able to fix it. There may be some anodize on the lip of the battery tube as the source of your problem as well.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
since the tailcap works fine in momentary i think its probably due to the cap bottoming out on the battery tube problem that don mentioned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lbonser

Newly Enlightened
Everyone,

Thanks for the info.

I just went to the Surefire site and they don't seem to list the Z57 tailcap. If you look at any of the E2x models, there's a list of accessories to the right, but no tailcaps. And if you select just the category "Accessories" and then "Tailcaps" they don't like the Z57.

Tried searching for the phrase "Z57" and it returned nothing.

Is this a discontinued product?

As for the tailcap bottoming out--How can I tell?

I looked at all the surfaces, and even rubbed them with a little dry cotton swap to "polish" them a bit to remove any guck on them; they appeared to have none.

For what it's worth: With the A2, if you take off the tailcap and work the pushbutton, you can see the mechanism inside the tailcap moving. This isn't the case with my E2O tailcap.

Once again, thanks!

lbonser

Newly Enlightened
D'OH!!!!

It apparently already has a click-on tailcap installed... my hands are just too weak to engage it.

(Yes, I have very small hands and with arthritis setting in, they are somewhat weak at times)

I was putting it back together after cleaning it as mentioned in the previous post, and by chance happened to set it down tailcap down on the table. As I pressed down on it, there was a sharp click and all of a sudden it was on!

I'm still seeing spots!!!!!

Seems to disengage easier than it engages. Probably by design so it isn't accidently turned on in a bag or luggage or something.

Once again, thanks to all that replied!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif