How to find...

lightnix

Enlightened
Does anyone know a (preferably free) site or service where I can look up the address behind a US PO Box number ?

paulr

Flashaholic
I believe it's confidential. If you've been ripped off and need to chase down the box owner, you have to file a lawsuit and issue a subpoena to the post office. Private investigators also have ways to get this info, but they won't do it for free.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many times, the PI (and even FBI agents) just watches the box to see who picks it up. There is no guarantee that the address on file is real (especially at those Mail Boxes etc. type places).

-Bill

lightnix

Enlightened
I see. That's a different system to the UK, where the first thing the Royal Mail tell you when you apply for a PO Box, is that it is not secure and that if anybody asks for the address behind it, they have to give it out.

OK, second question: how about a cell 'phone number ? Can I look up the home address behind that, or will it just come up with the PO Box number again ?

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I have a PO Box (live in college dorm) and I was told that I need a "street address" when I sign up for my cell phone service, but they somehow was able to use the PO Box as address after I told them I don't have a street address.