New Photon "Covert" Question

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
New Photon \"Covert\" Question

First of all, a Photon 3 has been my EDC since they were released, and I've had zero problems, and this light has helped me many times. I'm thinking of purchasing a Photon Freedom Micro, but I've never had a "covert" model and have a few questions. First of all, does the shroud help the beam "throw" any more (I can't imagine that it would), and second, will the shroud interfere with changing the LED? From what I can gather, the new Photons are supposed to facilitate easy LED changeouts, but I'm not sure if the covert shroud would have any effect on this. Thanks in advance!

JK

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: New Photon \"Covert\" Question

The shroud doesn't project the beam any further. It just controls the backspill and sidespill so the light is less annoying at the angles where it's not being aimed.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe that no & no are the correct answers. The covert feature helps to keep stray light from distracting the user. This is a problem, for me, with some lights. I've wrapped electrical tape around the bezels of some larger lights to prevent light from spilling out of the head and interfering with perception of distant objects.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'll add to the consensus here too.
The covert hosel around the LED blocks backspill and sidespill. That's what it was designed to do. It has no measureable effect in increasing beam brightness or increasing the light's ability to throw.

I have not tried to change the LEDs in my normal or covert Freedoms, so I am rather ill-prepared to help in this regard.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do the LEDs ever need changing? Don't they have a long life? I can see changing the bulb only if you want to change colors.

I like the shroud because the glare is very distracting in a darkened theatre or restaurant. That being said, there are occasions when I do want side spill, so my solution is to carry two Photons--one with and one without the shroud.

paulr

Flashaholic

I've never heard of a photon led burning out, though the leds in the cheap Countycomm lights have apparently burned out on a few occasions.

I don't think the new models are "designed to" facilitate easy led changeouts. It just happens to be easy to change the leds because of the way the lights are made. Most people will never change the leds and the idea is that if you want a red light and a green light, buy two lights, not one light and two leds.