Is the Surefire E1e worth the price?

kaper

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, Im new here and just wanted to say hello to all the gearheads and what a cool forum this is. So Im in search of a compact flashlight to carry around with me everyday, preferrably along with my keys but I can deal with a larger unit as long as it fits comportable in my pocket. The three I was looking at:

Streamlight Keymate
Surefire E1e
ARC LSH/4

I really like these three units because they are so compact and the LED looks like itll be 10x better than my old mini mag lite. I would like to know is the Streamlight Keymate any good because there is a big price difference compared to the Surefire and ARC. Also does the keymate have a spotlight feature just like the Mag lites by adjusting the head?

I would like a comparison of these three companies in general because I am considering the more expensive models too such as the Streamlight Stinger.

~One last thing, the Keymate specs states the runtime as 96 hours.. is that continuously? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Turt

Enlightened
Go for a LED for every day carry (EDC). I would recommend getting an ARC. Not too many people use the E1e stock, they usually replace it with a KL1 or other modded LED. The keymate is nowhere near as bright as the other two you mentioned.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Keymate is just a little keychain light that runs on button cells. It's not bad, but the favorite around here is the Arc AAA, an absolutely wonderful light if you can find one (the maker is having production problems and doesn't have any available right now). The CMG Sonic is an alternative, about the same size, less well made (but still ok), and much cheaper. www.texastacticalsupply.com had them on closeout, and may have some left. The CMG (now Gerber) Infinity/Ultra is a favorite 1AA light and is also not that expensive. But it's bigger than the Arc AAA/Sonic/Keymate.

The E1e and Arc4 are not keychain lights. They're closer in size to something like a fairly large swiss army knife. Between the two I'd say the Arc4 is a better choice. The E1e was good in its day but it's incandescent and things have changed since then. Finally, if you want a very small but very bright LED light, this is your chance to preorder a second run Firefly, a semi-custom light designed by CPF'ers tvodrd and DSpeck and being made by DSpeck. The Firefly is about halfway between the Arc4 and Arc AAA in size but it's almost as bright as the Arc4. Look in the homemade/modified forum for the preorder thread. Note that the Firefly is not really a production light though, doesn't have a real "manufacturer" with a corresponding level of customer support, and may not be the right thing for a newbie.

Finally, if you just want something cheap and practical for finding a keyhole in the dark, consider a coin cell light. Countycomm.com has some perfectly useable ones for $1.00 each in bags of 20 (give them to your friends). They do basically the same thing as the Keymate with somewhat improved runtime, less weigh/bulk and much lower cost. As an E2e alternative you could get something like a Princeton Tec Blast, a nice little pocket incandescent that runs on two AAA cells. It weighs about half what the E2e does and is about half as bright, but is still considerably brighter than (say) a stock 2AA minimag.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hi kaper, welcome to CPF and stay a while!

paulr has pretty much hit it on the head, and provided a great introductory rundown on small lights for EDC. TTS has indeed the Sonic in black on clearance for $9.50, less than half the cost of an Arc AAA, but you have to pay shipping. If you spend $50 at countycomm, shipping is free, so if you pick up some $1 coincells, and a couple Ultra-Gs at the CPF special price, plus 5 body lights, you've just passed $50. They're both great dealers.

The Firefly looks to be a classic, but it's pricier than an Arc second LS/4 or E1E, but don't forget there's no warranty on a second. As to the E1E, while it comes incan, if you get a KL1 or KL4, like turt mentions, then you have the best of both worlds at your fingertips, for the same ballpark as a Firefly or less than an Arc4+ first.

Surefire, Streamlight and Arc are all reputable companies, with the former two much bigger, established companies focusing on the LEO/military market, and Arc a small, commercial Arizona firm that feels more like a custom maker.

All that said, on my keychain is an Arc AAA, and in my coat pocket is an Arc LSH-P with twistie (soon to be replaced by a Firefly ver2). Those I reach for first, but a SF E2E is in my briefcase, and a SL Scorpion is in my desk at work.

Finally, if you are used to carrying a Minim*g, an affordable upgrade for it is the Opalec Newbeam, which converts it to 3-LEDs with loss of focusing, at just over $20.

Welcome again, and just buy them all!
daloosh

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kaper...

Welcome aboard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The Arc AAA is, by far, the best "key chain" flashlight that has ever been made by a flashlight manufacturer, and the Arc company, owned by Peter Gransee, is legendary for being "customer friendly". Buy an Arc AAA, and you`ll then wonder why it took you so long to own and use one of those gems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I see that Arc is temporarily out of the Arc AAA`s. I suggest you do a search on your regular internet search engine, and you may very well find an Arc dealer who still has one or more in stock.

If you can`t find an Arc AAA in stock, though, feel free to send a PM or email to me, and we can undoubtedly work out a deal for one. I have several extra that are NIB.

Eventually, and much sooner than you`ll ever think, you`ll also end up buying an Arc 4...and of course, the Surefire flashlights are a "must buy" kind of item (especially the L4, L5, L6 and the great M6)....amd then, of course, you`ll discover the wide world of truly spectacular modded flashlights.

Basically, Kaper...life as you knew it is now over forever, and there`s no going back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

May God have mercy on your soul. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there, kaper, hope to see you around here often.

I've gravitated to a small "microlite" type coin cell LED for my keychain and an Arc AAA for the other pocket, next to my knife. For me, a larger light is too much for my pocket but I do carry an Arc LSL or SL Scorpion in a holster, on my belt when I might need more light. Others aren't bothered with stuffing their pockets full. Try out various types of carry to determine what is comfortable for you.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted by kaper: "Is the Surefire E1e worth the price?"

Not unless you also get the KL1 head. I've always felt that the SF E1 was an overpriced underperformer. With a KL1 head, however, it is a great light.

I also like the KeyMate that was modified by lambda to become the NanoMate. I wanted to try his Turbo version/head, but missed out. Don't know if he still makes these.

I can't comment on the Arc LSH/4 line, as I don't have one yet.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
kaper,

For its size few other incans beat it in terms of throw. It puts out a pencilesque beam which is better than most that is also useful out to 60-70 feet tops. It's a fairly white colored beam with the typical SureFire pattern free of artifacts or distortions.

When the KL1 came along there suddenly became little reason to use the incan assembly. The LED produces nearly as many lumens but depending on your luck, the color can be whiter or as is more common purple. I have several KL1s and they tend to gravitate to the blue/purple side. It isn't anything objectionable when in use but all by itself it's noticeable.

I have the E1-SG, E1e-HA, E1e-SG and KL1s to match. I have the E1 in my center console and never feel slighted at all. My wife keeps her E1e-SG in her car and uses it all the time. The E1 and E1e with the matching SG KL1 is rather purty.

I agree with flashflan. I've never felt underdressed with it although it is larger than other lights for puting in your pocket.

The real performer is the E2e with the KL4 or the L4. That's a smokin' combo!

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two E1e lights. I like them, and use one with the KL1 Mod. However, at current SF prices, No they are not worth the price.
Jerry

jhereg

Enlightened
I think they are worth having, but may not be worth paying retail. You can find them on Ebay occasionally for a good price. I've got two E1 with the SG finish. I'd get rid of my Arc LS before I sold them. (Realistically I'm not selling any of them. )

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi kaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I have an e1e that I edc along with an asp navigator keychain light. For close up work I usually use the navigator, however the throw and amount of light that the e1e puts out is adequate enough that I don't think I need to lug my g2z around.

I have two purchases pending however... The E2e, as well as the Arc4 Rev (2). Once I order these and they arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, if this thread is still going I will post an update... Thus my opinion in this area is very limited (I haven't even actually seen a kl1 on an e1e yet either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif...)

At present in my opinion, it is worth having an e1e for what it's worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nightshade

Enlightened
Welcome Kaper to the spending abyss!The E1E is worth the price as purchased on e-bay or CPF B/S/T.I purchased a used one on E-bay for $33.00 and added a Kl1 head,also purchased on E-bay.The KL1 addition does not have the throw or white tint of any of my Arc Ls(firsts)lights.The Arc LSh series are very pocket friendly lights,with a much more waterproof construction, if that is of any concern.But,even with the stock lamp,the E1e is better than many 2 D-cell flashlights that are available.

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
Kaper,
Check with local Brick and Mortar stores for the SF E1e. I ordered one today from a local dealer $57 dollars delivered to my door from SF. This includes the Z57 clickie (which has been selling upwards of $35 on the net). Good luck in your search. If you like the form factor there are plenty of up-grades (mods. too), at $57 I think the E1e with the new clickie is worth the price.
DOC

kaper

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the opinions guys, I really appreciate it. Though I made my choice by reading a couple of reviews off flashlightreviews.com. I just got my new toy in the mail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. Price was my main concern since I just needed a compact keychain light and after checking out some reviews, I decided to go with the Inova X1 over the ARC. Im impressed! This is my first led light and compared to conventional flashlights it is extremely bright to me and the build quality is A+. The range is pretty good considering its such a small light too. For $17 I am definitely satisfied. I guess the E1e is off my list, Im considering the Inova XO now for home/regular use. Any opinions on the XO vs. the X5? I really like the spotlight on the X1 as a keychain light but I think I would need a much wider angle for instance to light up a good portion of a room.