question about luxeon led regarding shorts

zzublogan

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gifhi...the back of any luxeon led the place where the heatsink is attached...is that zone neutral or will i cause a short if i let that area touch the body of the flashlight, thanks

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
depend on the color of the led.
i believe on red and amber lux, the base is +.
the white, green, cyan, blue (et all blue) all have base that is -

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
....And the documentation says to isolate it for all the luxeons. You really want the electricity to flow in one electrode and out the other, not in one and some out through the mount and part through the electrode.

Daniel

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is true, I wonder if anyone has ever hooked up a white/blue/etc with connection to only anode and neg to the slug, and observed how it lights? At low powerlevels you could see how the current goes through the die. I've notice a swirling ocean effect when low power is applied to my 5W green as it randomly shoots through the die lattice.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The prevailing wisdom is that shftd is right. Others have reported static discharge protection diodes from the leads to the slug. I've never had a problem, even with a couple with lapped slugs/sinks and Arctic Silver as thin as I could make it. (It was a white and the sink was neg.) Hopefully some our electronics guys will set me/us straight. This was a hot topic several times in the past.

Larry

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
If you use an ohm meter, the resistance to the slug from either lead appears open.

If you apply normal current, you'll see some voltage drop betwen the leads and the slug. With 3 volts going through the LED, I saw .6 volts measured from neg to slug on a white low dome.

I think that the slug may be connected to the silicon substrate at some point. I suspect that tying the LED to ground will lessen the total phton emissions due to current traveling only partway across the die.

Of course, I could be all wet.

Daniel

Daniel

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have measured my R/O from the anode to the heatsink it was ArticAlumina Epoxied to, and measured .03 ohms. I'm not sure if the "hot" colored family of luxeons has static protection or not, but it conducts very well through the slug...

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
zzublogan said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gifhi...the back of any luxeon led the place where the heatsink is attached...is that zone neutral or will i cause a short if i let that area touch the body of the flashlight, thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Go here