X5 lookalike with AAx1 [photos]

JamesWong

Newly Enlightened
This X5 lookalike is bought at Ap Liu Street, Hong Kong at just US$4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The finishing of course is not as good as the real Inova X5. But I like the use of AA x 1 rather than the CR123 x 2. AA battery is more easily available during travelling and is much cheaper. Also the size is smaller because the use of AAx1 and more important to me : it can use Ni-MH rechargable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

X5_AAx1.jpg

ARC__X5.jpg

ARC_vs_X5.jpg

Both flashlights are around 1 foot away from the wall. ARC AAA has more side spill while the X5 lookalike has tighter angle. I don't have a Lux meter, the output of this X5 lookalike is higher than the ARC AAA.

This is my measurement setup :
X5_testing.jpg

X5_AA_Curve.jpg

From the data and curve, I guess that it is just a single transistor oscillation circuit without any regulation, most likely at such low price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif.

The advantage of without regulation is that you can use higher voltage battery, such as lithium AA at 1.7V to boost an extra output. In such case 2 lithium AA will cost higher than this flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow

nice find. i bet this would worth even more than the X1. both use 1AA, but this one produce 5 times as much light and at reduced price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
I tried to get one of these on ebay... it was for $12 though.. I was gonna bid the next day..but when I went back all 3 of them had been bought with buy it now.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Looks like a cool light.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother in law just sent me one of those 1AA lights from Mainland China except it had a black barrel with a chrome tip. It really is a fairly bright light. He also sent me a couple the same style that uses 1AAA battery. They are nice little lights.

He sent them to me because he knows I like LED lights and he wanted me to test the waters and see if they would sell in the U.S. I guess he has access to lots of these lights. He also sent a couple of LED lights I'd not seen before in the U.S.

china_lights.jpg

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does look like a sweet little light. I saw the 3 led dorcy single AA at target yesterday and I'm just not that impressed. They were 9.99.

I be you could sell at least 50 of those on cpf at 10 bucks a pop very quickly or offer them to one of the dealers here and take the headache out of shipping and dealing with customers. I'd pay ten bucks for one.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to check with my wife and see how many her brother can get of the Inova-clones. My mastery of the Chinese language is ZIP! I'll see if I can find out real quick (within 24 hours and most probably with just 6 hours) how many brother in law can get.

And I can get a price from my wife too. It could be less than $10. The lights weigh 1 oz. for the AAA and 1.2 oz. for the AA model and do not come with batteries. I think that would work for first-class shipping and still get to you within 3 days.

Now if someone would kindly tell me how to sell though CPF that would be nice. I think CPF gets a percentage, right? I think CPF should get a percentage considering how nice a web site it is.

No promises but I'll check real hard, OK?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
All you have to do to sell here on cpf is post in b\s\t lights. Cpf doesn't get a percentage from that forum but they do get a little from the auction site (that apparently no one is using). But, I agree that CPF is a great sight (thus the 'supporter' designation under my handle) so I sent a paypal via the big red "support cpf" button in the upper left. It's easy, it's quick and I got a nice warm, fuzzy, altruistic-type feeling when I did it ...plus the 'supporter' badge.

jtice

Flashaholic
Heh, those look kinda cool, especially for the price.
Id be in for a few if you end up getting any.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of beam shots. They are compared to the Opalec NewBeam 2AA 3LED, the Dorcy 1AA 3LED and the Dorcy 1AAA 3LED lights.

My wife says her brother can get the lights easily but she'll call him tonight to make sure.

I don't know if he has a choice of colors (black and silver). I'll find out tonight.

Anyone have a color preference? This is to give me an idea of what people like.

inova_clone_shots.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic
wow, those are really looking nice. Especially for the Price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, whos gonna get ahold of 100 of them to sell here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

indenial

Enlightened
You may want to put together an order list haveblue! Put me on for the 3 and 5 LED Inova clones! Silver AND Black for each.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casually asking my wife it her brother could get 50 of the lights she immediately said yes. But she tends to speak first and think later. After she gets off work in about 8 hours I'll ask her if her brother could get a 100 of them. She'll call him when she gets home from work. We'll see if we can run them dry of LED lights in China.

I got the OK from CPF and I'll check with my wife to make sure they can get here. Then I'll post here and start a thread on B/S/T. I want to make sure I actually have the lights in hand or on the way.

Here are the pictures and beam shots of the 2AA lights.

china_lights_2AA.jpg

I'll keep you all posted!

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are right. I'll start a list of people until I see if it is possible to get the lights. Starting NOW!

Negeltu

Enlightened
if they are $10 or under... please add me to the list for a 5 led version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts