times and only some dents in the aluminium and chipped
anodizing were the results.

Is this common or only bad luck?

---
pyro

GeoffChan

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your loss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've only ended up with a shattered MN10 after i dropped my M3 from waist height.

Geoff

Size15's

Flashaholic
Pyrex cracks - it happens sometimes.
SureFire should take care of you if you contact them.

I've dropped the M3T and M6 with Pyrex lens TurboHead plenty of times when I compared Pyrex to Lexan. It didn't break.

How is the Lamp Assembly?
Still focused?
If it's defocused you should mention this to SureFire at th same time.

Al

lightemup

Flashaholic*
So Al, are you meant to be able to drop it from waist height? One of the positives I thought of having the M3 (shock isolated bezel etc) was this possibility? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

You said Surefire warranty should cover it (as in it should withstand it), but do I have to be more careful with my M3 (although it gets treated like fine china anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) ?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Of course you can drop it from waist height (I don't think that's the question you meant to ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) The M3T is not designed to prevent you from dropping it since the manual doesn't state that the supplied Lanyard should be used at all times.

Should the M3T be able to survive a drop from waist height?
In my opinion this all depends on the situation - especially what it's dropped onto, but in my experience, dropping the M3T (with Pyrex lens) does not cause it break.
But it can happen - the glass lenses can crack and the filament bulbs can suffer deformed beams or break. In general I don't read that this is normal or common.

I understand that when SureFire say "If it breaks, we will fix it."...
"Guarantee
Lamps will burn out, batteries will be used up, and tape switches for WeaponLights™ will eventually need to be replaced. Everything else is covered by our lifetime no-hassle guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it!
"
copied from www.SureFire.com
... It means that if the Pyrex lens breaks then SureFire will fix it. I'm not saying that it shouldn't have broken in the first place since I wasn't there and don't know all the details.

Do you have to be more careful with you M3 [read any glass lens flashlight]?
Your M3 is a tool and as such should be treated with respect. I would not suggest that you take more care of your M3 at the expense of getting the job done. If in getting the job done your M3 fails or fails as a result of having an accident then I guess its up to you whether you expected it to be able to handle whatever caused it to fail.
If the performance was found to be lacking then you can either try again with the M3 once it has been fixed or try a different flashlight.

The high £££ value of a tool should not get in the way of being able to use it to do the task demanded of it in my opinion, otherwise you may have to question whether you have the tool for the right reasons. Like is the tool more important then the job it's used for? In that case taking steps to protect the tool, or using a different tool may be the answer.

I've broken SureFires during field-testing and evaluation. It's given me a health respect for what SureFires can handle when abused and subjected to 'accidents'.

The Shock Isolation System used by SureFire is for protecting the lamp assembly from the recoil forces of life on a firearm. It helps protect the lamp when the SureFire is dropped but offers little transverse protection. Most drops involve at least some longitudinal shock so I do find it useful for non-WeaponLight applications.

Al

pyro

Enlightened
Thanks for your answers!

The light slipped out of my pocket when kneeling on the
floor and hit the concrete between the two cracks.
The aluminium isn't bent there, only a small mark in on
the HAIII.

The filament is still fine, same beam as always.

I don't know if SureFire will fix it, as i am not the
original owner.
But i guess asking is a good idea anyway.

---
pyro

Mr HG

Enlightened
I dropped my brand new Surefire M4 from neck high on to a wood floor last week. I've not had any problems what so ever since. But the thump it made went like a ice cold chill troughout my whole body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before that I had an MN20 LA explode in a M6 bezel completley destroying it. Surefire replaced the bezel and LA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, but I had to pay US$70 in duties/tax. They supplied a invoice along with the new bezel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif. Make sure they dont do that when and if they replace your bezel. But all that was before their new policies. Theses days I cant get a simple answer on what to do with a brand new foggy N2 LA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Good Luck
Henrik

Size15's

Flashaholic
Henrik,
If your brand new N2 is foggy then it likely has a leak in which case let SureFire know. Have you tried to contact them already?

naromtap

Enlightened
My M6 took a tumble from about shoulder height onto its head & lived to tell the tale bar a flek of anodising but strangley whilst inspecting it I noticed a thumbprint inside on the reflector which appears black?!...perhaps left by the surefire guardian angel that attempted to catch it as it fell...who knows.

E

Emilion

Fall out while downhill biking @54Km/hr, bezel of my L5 (in the belt pouch, which is unusable now..) got some abrasion, but it works fine as usual~

DumboRAT

Enlightened
I play airsoft -- it's akin to paintball, but uses a 6mm plastic BB instead (and no, it doesn't hurt more nor is it any more dangerous than paintball, as long as the proper safety gear is used, impact forces for airsoft is actually quite a bit less than paintball) -- and typically, plastic lenses fare better in this situation as they are less likely to be chipped.

There is, however, a blance to be struck in that although the plastic (Lexan?) lenses do seem to be a bit more resistant to chipping from impacts, they can melt/bubble with continuous-on high-power applications.

This is one of those areas where it is, I believe, up to the end-user to choose the lesser of two evils - to base his/her choice upon their anticipated usage of the tool.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Thanks Al,

That's just it, my M3 is a tool, and without abuse testing it myself I am learning its limitations etc. I look after all my kit, however at the same time I would not hesitate to use / abuse / lose it to get the job done.

(although I reserve the right later to be sad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif )

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I've got a small selection of Surefires and all use 2 x C123 batteries. The pyrex bezels are on the G2z,M2,E2e's and KL1 heads. The G2's are the normal lexan variety and and in my experience these work very well with very little risk of deformation if only using the P60 bulbs, even if used continuously. The risk of melting seemsto come from inadvertant activation in a pouch, pocket etc. where there is no flow of cooling air. The P61 bulbs are IMHO too hot for extended use with lexan. However, for the purpose of short bursts of light this is a great combination.
I have always been aware of the risk of cracking/chipping pyrex bezels in SF's when accidentally dropped or exposed to very vigorous use. The shock wave transmitted through the alluminium bezel to the pyrex is and will remain a problem , however, if you use non-glass filters the plastic housing will reduce the risk. To this end I've used the rubber bezel (minus the filter)from Surefire on the E2e's and Kl1's and I'm pleased to say that despite some very high drops onto varying surfaces this idea has protected both bulbs/Leds and pyrex from any damage. It also has protected the HA111 bezel edge from getting chipped.

Like Al says Surefire lights are tools (except perhaps to collectors?)and should be able to withstand substantial external shock forces and still work normally. If they dont or folks are afraid to use them then one has to ask why bother about buying a Surefire?

Doug

shan

Newly Enlightened
I droped my M3 and it fell less than one foot. The lens broke on it and it would not come on half the time. Surefire fixed my M3 free of charge. I think the newer impact bezels that SureFire is now useing will fix this problem. They appear to be a little more thicker than the old bezel.

pyro

Enlightened
Surefire repaired my Torbohead free of charge!

i don´t think the impact bezels make a big difference.
The main problem is the high shock force involved in a drop.
if there´s no metal/pyrex contact such things shouldn´t happen.

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pyro said:
Surefire repaired my Torbohead free of charge!

[/ QUOTE ]
Glad to hear everything worked out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif