Arc AAA Malfunctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first time to actually post CPF, but I have followed everyones Posts for months now and intently for the past few weeks. Maybe I am a soon to be 'Flashaholic'(?) Anyways, My Arc AAA that I have had for about 5 months now has been bugging up. I am aware of the intermitant chip problem and thats what it kind of sounds like but it goes on... If it isnt working, I can try turning the head like turning it on but tighten it down rather hard, and viola!, it begins working and will work for a selected amount of time determinned by the light itself. Is this a symptom of the intermitant chip problem?
Thanks,
Cameron

paulr

Flashaholic
The symptom of the intermittent chip problem is that the light simply doesn't light, even if you tighten it hard. To get it to light, you have to turn it off and turn it on again. In a few cases, it may take several tries, like starting an old car in cold weather.

Mattman

Enlightened
Paulr's right about the intermittent lighting symptoms, so that doesn't sound like what you have. Have you tried a new battery? Turning it hard seems to indicate some sort of physical contact problem with the battery. Have you recently put in a new battery?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
if the light was overtightened previously, it could have crushed the battery and made it short enough to not establish reliable connection when it should. that might be what's going on here?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
clean it up and if that doesnt fix it pull the foam washer off the head and carefully remove all foam and adhesive.
on a hard surface like an anvil roll the end of the housing over the ground trace on the board.
for more on this search for roll crimp.
i had to do this for pm on 15 or more and no problems since.

vj

Newly Enlightened
Is it really the case that overtightening an Arc AAA or AA head would damage the battery, and not the head(with electronics)? Has anyone had an ARC head damaged this way? I'd be really happy if the head is that strong!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
7272 said:
Is it really the case that overtightening an Arc AAA or AA head would damage the battery, and not the head(with electronics)? Has anyone had an ARC head damaged this way? I'd be really happy if the head is that strong!

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me. The positive-end nipple crushes if overtightened. The bezel lives on, without issues.

Moat

Enlightened
Don't forget to scuff clean the solder blob, and spin a bit of fine sandpaper in the bottom of the battery tube, with a pencil eraser (blow and wipe clean when done).

All of my Arc AAA's, AA, and CMG Infinities act like that from time to time - with just a little occasional cleaning, they function like new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you do the roll crimp scrape the black epoxy from the ground trace first.had a few that were completely covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.