Dorcy 3AAA Lux Star

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I was able to snag a pair of these at Costco this weekend for $36 and change. The beam pattern is pretty good considering it's only $18 each, but certaily not as nice as my Pelican M6 LED.

My question is about run time. I know that if a Lux is run at specs, that would be 350 ma, but I forgot what the capacity is for AAA alkalines and AAA lithiums. Can anyone tell me these capacities or what I can expect for run times? Thanks.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Standard offer applies! Send a working loaner and it'll get plotted.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are at very few Costcos. Maybe you'd be interested in doing a service for other CPFers that don't have access?

indenial

Enlightened
Just to clarify, they come in a package containing identical pairs? That's sounds odd, even for Costco. Can't complain, though, 'cuz at $18.00 a pop that's the least expensive 1 Watt Luxeon on the market! And they run on three AAA alkaline cells? Can you give us the dimensions, or at least the length?

Thanks

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I haven't run this flashlight through my computerised battery destroying satanic robot death machine yet, but I'll start a test later today and we'll soon see how it does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
indenial said:
...Can you give us the dimensions, or at least the length?

[/ QUOTE ]
The flashlight is 5.25" long, by approximately 1.15" diameter at its widest point; the bezel.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
A new acronym CBDSRDM ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I've used that phrase often enough that I ought to add the acronym to my acronyms page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

indenial

Enlightened
Thanks LED Museum. Hmm, does that mean the 3-AAA's come in a battery pack? Seems kinda short for standing end to end.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
indenial said:
Thanks LED Museum. Hmm, does that mean the 3-AAA's come in a battery pack? Seems kinda short for standing end to end.

[/ QUOTE ]
The three AAA cells are in a side-by-side battery carriage in the flashlight barrel, that's why the flashlight itself is so short. As soon as I finish up my lunch, I'll get some new AAA cells in there and start the battery analysis.

[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
can anyone post a picture?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's a picture from my website:
dorcyls1.jpg

And here's a picture of the flashlight in my hand, for a size approximation:
dorcyls2.jpg

The flashlight is 5.25" long by 1.15" in diameter at its widest point.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It's now 5:39pm PDT. I started the test around 2:45pm.
It started with an arbitrary reading of 13.0, and it's down to 3.7 now. Looks like the half-intensity point was about two hours in, but I won't know this with positive, absolute, 100% certainty until I remove the flashlight from the testing apparatus and construct the graph for it.
Maybe later this evening, maybe sometime tomorrow.

(Edit)
It's now 6:53pm PDT, and the reading is 2.5 at this moment.
I'll do a battery chart when the reading drops to 0.1 or 0.2.

(Edit again)
It's now 9:24pm PDT, and the reading is 1.4 at this moment.
Guess this test will run at least overnight.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks Craig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most alkaline aaa batteries are normally rated at 1000 - 1100 mah before falling under 1 volt a piece.
Craigs findings are kinda what I expected. (I was asleep during his tests earlier) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif
Nimh 750 - 850s should also manage about 2 hours at near full strength before rapidly cratering if it has some series resistance to the led added. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Shorter and hotter if direct drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Is that light direct drive like the ledlenser v2 turbos are, or do they have some series resistance added for better reliability? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
shiftd: You're more than welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3rd_shift: This flashlight has some kind of circuitry in it that enables an automatic "blink" mode, so I don't think the "steady on" mode is true direct-drive. Current has to at very minimum go through a circuit of some kind first, before reaching the LED.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
can anyone do me a favor?
i would like one of this flashlight, so if you got extra, or if you don't need one, send me a PM

hmm, maybe this request best put at the BST thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig,
I think I'll start scouting around for a costco that has them.(as if I don't already have enough flashlights) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
If I find them, I'll post how well they survived being driven by nimh aaa batts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Sorry for the late post. I do my best flashlight thinking during 9-5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

indenial; Yes, they come in a clear clamshell packed 2 to a package for $36.54 (or something like that). They also come with 6 AAA Duracell Alkaline batteries in the package. No holsters or anything else. Like The LED Museum has said, the AAA's are loaded into a carriage in series like the 3AA-D battery holders. Maybe The LED Museum can post a pic of the carriage here or on his site. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to figure out how to upload a pic.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast