CC Trek Light

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a CC Trek Light (with the 2 led assembly)that was given to me and it has an led that started pulsing on-off while the other steadily burns. It has a strobing effect that will slow down in rate of pulsing as it is left on then will eventually go out totally. After the light is left off, the led will come back on in the pulsing mode. Is this what an led does when it is going bad or do the normally just burn out? It had been looking dim so I replaced the batts, used it for a while then this started. I thought maybe I installed a batt backwards, but they were in right.

I have sent an email to C. Crane but thought I would also mention it to you guys for any comments.

Thanks,

Clint

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
that happend to my 3 led flange replacment bulb. the led does that when demaged by overdriving. a new batt has more than 1.5 volts those leds are 4.5 max. bum batts that are 1/2 emty from buddys they work fine. tip: when you get that cctrek back do what ive done to mine- put 2 extra leds in-- hint -those 4 holes good luck
cool.gif
cool.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to agree. That`s an LED that has been slightly singed inside, resulting in damage to the die at the atomic level. This happens sometimes with overdriven LED lights, they just get too hot initially with a fresh set of batteries (like my new Teknolite
frown.gif
). I think C.Crane has the same warranty as Tektite (who actually make them, from what I know), that if an LED fails, they will repair/replace it.

BTW- it doesn`t have any resistors in it, does it? Mine does, I`m just trying to find out if that`s a common thing or not, as apparently most don`t use them.

shocked.gif
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for the replies. I thought I had read somewhere on this forum recently about some of the newer led assemblies for these lights having resistors in them. Mine does not, so that would explain the led being overdriven. Maybe Tektite has realized there is a problem. I will wait for C. Crane to respond back and let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

Clint

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
i just got mine at seattle's rei main store- thats right stingmon a week ago i was probly 1/4 of a mile from you, at least that was the thought that nearly killed me throughout the trip
tongue.gif
that fine it was sooooooooo pretty around there the i' probly live there someday and work at rei(do you beleive i sold over $120 worth of their led lights to other cust. and i dont even work there!people thought i work there because i know so much about leds
grin.gif
grin.gif
half the time i was quoting stingmon and the forums, thanks)
smile.gif
oh yeah as i was saying- my2 led now 4 led cc trek does have a resister in it lets see brown black black gold

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Craig,
LED flashlights are new to me so the fact I haven't seen this happen before isn't saying much, but coming from you with your knowledge and experience testing all the different lights on the market is interesting. It's been on my dresser all day, so I tried a new set of Duracells but it started flickering right away. Who knows, I may just have to donate it to science and send it your way for further testing.

Clint

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
Despite all the time I spend with LEDs, I've never yet seen one go into this flicking or strobing mode.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've got a 2.5v. yell/green 5mm. one that I had to pull out of my car compass that will start strobing (at varying rates-no less!) -after being on about 20min.
shocked.gif
, and also a nichia 5600 that does the same thing.

Sting-if you should want to experiment with these, I could send 'em to ya..-let me know.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
I've got a 2.5v. yell/green 5mm. one that I had to pull out of my car compass that will start strobing (at varying rates-no less!) -after being on about 20min.
shocked.gif
, and also a nichia 5600 that does the same thing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please, wing them my way... I'd like to document this, and from that point I may be able to determine what actually *causes* it to begin with.
smile.gif

You know where to find my address... it's only on like 200 pages of a certain website we all know and love.
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Despite all the time I spend with LEDs, I've never yet seen one go into this flicking or strobing mode.

As for the resistors, apparently that is new.
None of my Tektite products have them, but some of Chris's do. I've seen the pictures, and it's pretty hard to Photoshop in a resistor and have the resulting photo look right. :)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Followup on C.C. Trek Light:

I heard back from C.C. Crane on my LED flickering and they said it would be covered by warranty if I have the address of the person who purchased it. It was given to me by a person whose stove I was repairing & I do not recall their address and I believe it was purchased through their employer anyway, so needless to say it will not be covered, but they did offer a new LED array for $12.95 incl shipping. I decided to apply that $12.95 towards a Princeton Tec Attitude and I believe I will like it better. Much brighter, smaller size due to batt configuration and since it is resistored maybe it will last longer. And it even fits in a nylon Maglite AA holster.

Clint