Any U2 updates?

tygger

Enlightened
Anyone have any more information about the Surefire U2? Reading the past thread I didn't see anything about the output of the 6 adjustable settings other than High. Will the beam be identical to the L5? Tighter possibly? And is there a possible ship date for the summer? Will all level settings be regulated? Inquiring minds want to know.

Size15's

Flashaholic
No new public information that I'm aware of.

All levels will be regulated. Outputs for each level have not yet been made public. Beam profile and output on high is the same as the KL5 based on the proto-types I've seen.

The U2 will be released this year I believe. I've had my first bbq so summer has started two weeks ago for me. Summer ends at the last bbq of the year. I guess this means that the U2 is already delayed and they only have four-five months to release it?

Al

tygger

Enlightened
Thanks for the response Al. Lets hope it ships by about the 10th bbq at the latest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tygger,

I am guessing that the individual levels will move smoothly from 2 lumens to 100 lumens. (I remember reading the 2 lumen figure somewhere.) The ratio between the intermediate levels would then be 2 ^ (1/5). That gives: 2.0, 4.4, 9.6, 20.9, 45.7, and 100 lumens. Each step would be a little more than two of the Arc4+ steps.

I also believe that each level is regulated, just as the Arc4+ is.

Paul

Size15's

Flashaholic
The levels may not be based on steps in output but steps in runtime. The steps may not be equal - they may be based on the different levels of light [or runtime] we can actually differeniate between. 2Lu to 100Lu needs to be useful steps otherwise it may as well be two-stage (imho). I tend to need various uses of stages in the middle? Why are such light stages needed? I'm guessing to increase runtime for tasks requiring constant-on light.
Another thing to consider is how the light output decreases as the batteries drain and how the multi-level outputs can help you determine how much life (or light) is left in them.

What about if a new battery comes along? Will the U2 be able to cope?!

These are just a few of the questions and considerations that could be going into the U2.

Perhaps its enough to say that "nothing" is known for certain about the U2 at the moment?

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
And why not? But seriously, the "Lamp Module-ess" of the U2 Bezel will mean people can screw it into all sorts of things - It'll be perfect for those who want to mess around, I mean "mod"... If you want to make a clockwork power body for it, you can. If you want to muddle together some LiIon cells then you can. The world's your ostrich.

Al

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're all wrong. It's a sit and spin.

Edit: For those who don't know it was a toy designed to induce dizzyness and resulted in vomiting of children. I had one as a kid, and I'm not sure why any kid would think it was fun...
It's not a vulgar insult...

JML

Enlightened
I bet that the settings include 15, 20, and 65. From a marketing perspective, they'd want to show comparability to their other models, plus one or two "overdrive" settings in addition to the low and some more intermediate settings. The L2 has the dual 15/65 ratings, while the L4 has a 65.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
So Al,

What is the Vin range of the U2? I am assuming that it is less than or equal to Vf of the LED plus some bit of overhead? Can it handle two Li-Ion cells in series? I ask as I suspect some might consider a 9P host with a couple Pila's. ????? We have heard that the stock light will accomodate a 17650 and I believe an 18650? Well can it accept 2x of these in another host?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey Don ... are you falling from grace and starting to use Pilas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Oh my ... guess I am the only "no rechargeable" guy here ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

and Al, while you're at it .. will this marvel be able to handle 9V? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bernhard

Size15's

Flashaholic
The U2 Lamp Module can not screw onto a 9P body.
It can screw into an MH90 which holds two SF123A batteries.

If you want to create a longer battery tube for it then you can start with an A21 universal housing and extending it backwards with A19's... It'll look rather strange.

I do not know whether the U2 Lamp Module can be powered by three SF123A or 9V. It has not been an issue. I would have thought that Don can ask PK before me.

Al

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any insight what kind of runtime (ballpark) we might expect on the lowest setting? I recall someone mentioned that it might be a bit less efficent on low than we might expect.

-john

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire says 4 days runtime at the lowest setting (2 lumens).

This is in their PDF catalog.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Al,

You know a lot more about the U2 than I! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But I am certain that the circuit is a boost circuit so 3x123 would not be viable in terms of design but like the KL5 on the C3, it might squeak by in a DD state with the ultimate current limitation of the cells themselves keeping the magic smoke at bay. There is no telling what the higher voltage might do to the circuit in the U2 but I sure wouldn't want to be the test case! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Two Li-Ion cells, on the other hand, do bring the Vin down to a level that just might work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I have never seen a 9P but I guess I falsely assumed that it had the same head threads as the 6P. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Latest posts