The ultimate torch

nightwish

Newly Enlightened
Can any of you gurus help me with what I need for the ultimate torch for my requirements? (I'm from Oz - i'm not calling it a flashlight ok?!) :p

What I want from the torch is:

1: LED bulb of some sort (the brighter the better)
2: Focusable, and i want it to be pretty long throw
3: 2 to 4 AA batteries (i'll be putting nimh's in it)
4: Water/weather resistant
5: Little or no physical mods to the parts. I don't have access to a lathe or a lathe monster, plus i'm a newb to this stuff.

If there's a simple host/bulb combo that will do these things that'd probably be the best solution!

Cheers

evanlocc

Enlightened
Pls take out your condition #3 and choose the Pelican M6 LED.
Maybe a little mod to the M6 LED to get back your condition #3.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
NW,

Same thing I was looking for and the M6 keeps coming up (except for condition 3), or else the UK 4AA LED, but it's not as bright.

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
I'd say a blaster junior from elektrolumens fits the bill pretty well, its even focusable to some extent, though not to the same degree as a mag.
You could also try a luxeon sandwich dropin for a minimag, although this option ends up being more expensive for someone in OZ.
Another option which I overlooked for far too long is the ARC LSH with the 2AA battery pack. Quite bright for its size, better than most 2D size incandescents, and good value if you take advantage of the $50 seconds.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean something like this?
th_Short_Mag_004.jpg

th_Short_Mag_002.jpg

Shortened M*g to size of 1D. 4 Nimh AA installed. Never need remove batteries to recharge. Epheon 1 watt Luxeon runs on 500 mA (overdriven). Super long throw and focusable from flood to ultra narrow beam.

nightwish

Newly Enlightened
fivemega, that is exactly what I'm looking for!

However it sounds like there was a fair bit of modding of the mag required to make it.

Would you mind giving me a rundown on how you created it?

Also how do you recharge the batteries without taking them out?

Cheers.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cut about 60mm from barrel of 2D and rethread the end. Now you have a 1D size flashlight that can take 4 stack of AAs wired in series (4.8 volt) and installed. Also one negative and one positive of battery pack is connected to tailcap jack for charging purpose. For safety reason, I installed a diode betwieen jack and battery pack. This will prevent short circuit. Another word, power will get in for recharging but will not get out. Then I replace original bulb with Epieon 4.5 volt (3 cell) Luxeon LED. This will run about 500 mA when batteries are fully recharged. For recharging 1800 mAh batteries, I use constant current of 400 mA for about 7 hours.
You can email me if you need more help. [email protected]
th_Short_Mag_002.jpg

th_MAGLITE_RECHARGEABLE_004.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
Most good lights these days are prefocused and not focusable. If you don't mind that, Elektrolumens makes a 3aa light in their Blaster series. If you want something brighter, you'll need to go to lithium batteries, e.g. Surefire L5.

Latest posts