Newbie needs some advice

Kier

Newly Enlightened
You know, until I'd found this forum I hadn't even realized there were crazy expensive flashlights out there. I have at least 15 low priced incandescants and have always wanted a chance to buy some crazy lights. I never even knew I had such a repressed craving for flashlights until I'd found this forum. I've been lurking for awhile because I wanted my first expensive purchase to be a well thought out one. (The term expensive is relative. About 100$ US is my budget for this)

My purpose for this flashlight would be an EDC (which is easier since I am a pocket man). I'm most interested in a good combination of runtime and power. The Arc4+ would be a first choice but it's damned expensive and seems difficult to acquire at this time. I've been looking at all the new hype over the Longbow Micra so that's topping my list at the moment. The other one topping my list is to get my hands on an Arc LS and slap on that gadget_lover mod for a lower power setting.

I don't know how well the longbow micra is going to work since it's fairly new and untested to you folks. I'm sure someone will come out with a power switching mod for it eventually (if not from longbow itself) although not having a lower power setting off the bat might be annoying.

Anyways, I'm open to all suggestions no matter how divergent to my current leanings.

Kier

Newly Enlightened
Yeah but the firefly is $120 and that'll be a month or 2 wait before I have a flashlight. That's.. kinda.. not fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then again, if it's that good then maybe it's worth the wait and the extra money. I saw one runtime chart posted for it. How is its power compared to other lights of that size?

I mean, since it's a custom job with limited supply, it's not all that easy to find well laid out information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
You could go with a Surefire E1e+KL1. Should be under $100 and gives you to bezels to choose from. I often switch bezels depending on what I'm doing... a very useful asset.

The KL1s aren't known for having the best luxeons, but the fit and finish is excellent, very durable. Sounds like you are interested in dual level LEDs, which the KL1 won't have.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered an Arc 4 second? Those usually are right around your price range and, although I have no personal experience with them, many people are very satisfied with them.

-Mike

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
You wouldn't do wrong to go with your original impulse and get an Arc LSH. I have one with the twisty tailcap, and it's a great little light. Very bright, great color and beam quality, and in a very small package.

nightshade

Enlightened
Welcome Kier, Don't know what kind of throw you want or need but www.theledlight.com has the Arc lowdome LSL in both twisty and Tsp tailcaps.Prices are $85.00 and $95.00 respectively.They are in the bargain basement section of the site.These are firsts and the warranty will still be good thru Arc.The Arc line is smaller than the Longbow line,but the Longbow opens the door to endless modding and accessories. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifI may be in the minority here,but I still really like that "wall of light" from premium lowdomes . Lowdomes still have a valuable job in my flashlight usage.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the ARC and the Longbow are good lights, there is also the excellent Surefire lights. I cam't recommend my lights since I think my smallest is a little large for your needs. You can't go wrong with the above mentioned companies.

Kier

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and I'm taking a good luck at all of your suggestions. It looks like all of the lights of this size have average runtimes of about 2 hours or a little less.

zigzago has also made me go and read all of the firefly threads. I wish I had the money to buy more than one type of light, but I don't.

If there are any more suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small, versitile, inexpensive. and good quality. Good bang for the $$$ (Only $30 at Brightguy) dual power. Light weight and well crafted- SteamLight Twin Task Light - 2L. Spend $20 more for 123's and your set and still have $50!

Its my EDC.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID smokes LED!
Recent additions to My Lights: ***

http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/Dscn3236

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kier-

In my opinion you may have some difficulty finding a single 123 cell light that has a runtime exceeding 2 hours and still have more than a modest light output.

If you are willing to consider the two cell E2o (E2e with 25 lumen lamp) your runtime will be about 150 minutes. One good thing about this combination is that you can swap the 25 Lumen and 65 lumen lamps as needed. with the same light you can also swap the head with a 1 watt Led Head (KL1) or a 5 watt Led head (KL4).

This makes the E2e / E2o a very versatile combination that can grow or change as your needs change. At a later date you may find the funds to buy a ARC4+ in this case you can have a 65 lumen incandescent with an aceptable throw and a smaller LED light with a correspondingly lesser light output.

GregR

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as bang for the buck small lights go, I still like the E1e body with KL1 to start. The KL1 is very flexible and has a better than modest output. It can also be modded later on to put out a level of light that will wow many.

As far a a modded KL1 goes, a KL1 with a 3W biased at 700mA with a reflector is really hard to beat for the package.

I really like the form factor of the FF, but it's output isn't really impressive, considering the turned down optic.

I've played with the Arcs and they are nice, but I personally prefer the Surefire E1e/KL1 combo. You can add and upgrade as you go.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Kier,

Welcome to CPF.

I am a pocket man myself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

inpocket.jpg

Tom

indenial

Enlightened
I have two single cell 1 watt Luxeons that I can wholeheartedly recommend. The Vortex TC1 and the Longbow Micra 2210. Both excellent quality beams equivalent to many double cells IMO. I speak as a non-techie; just my subjective impressions is all.

paulr

Flashaholic
Kier, the Longbows are really wonderful, incredibly well made. I don't think you have to worry about their being new. Their origins are slightly shrouded in mystery but the genetic influence of the McLux is quite obvious in them. We can be assured that certain CPF'ers have had their hands in the Longbow project from its inception.

I think your first pocket EDC light should be an Arc AAA. It won't wow your neighbors with its brightness, but for pure practicality it ranks with the swiss army knife as a device that everyone should be issued at birth. It has a larger Arc-made AA-powered brother, and a slightly cruder ancestor in the CMG Ultra/Ultra-G which will also do you good.

Stepping up in power poses some dilemmas. The Arc4/+ has its good points as do the Longbows, but as 1W lights go, they're larger than they need to be. (I don't have any hesitation recommending the factory seconds at $99.95 if you want an Arc4 though). If you don't want to wait a couple months for a second run Firefly, you can find first run units on BST fairly often (you can also post a WTB there). The Firefly is my idea of what a 1W EDC light should be like. The McLux (which anyway is no longer available) is a thing of beauty but is kind of large for EDC. I use it around the house or bring it places for "special occasions". I don't own a Longbow yet (I want one but have to keep expenditures down) might hold the middle ground, if you don't mind its size.

I don't think I'd get an Arc LS any more, especially the current model. It was a great light in its day but the Arc4+ obsoletes it pretty thoroughly. If you want to get an LS, I'd say get the classic setup with the 1x123 twisty pack. I really don't like the Kroll TSP very much.

But you might choose to skip 1W lights altogether and get a Surefire L4 or the new L2. They are even bigger and use more batteries, but their output makes 1W lights look rather dim. You will have to go a bit over your $100 budget to get an L4, but it's a different class of light than a 1 watt.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
E2E and a Kl1
I think this would be a good combo. It would give you a taste of a good regulated 1 watt luxeon and a good high powered incandascent. Will probably be over 100 bucks though. The Kl1 won't be a spotlight but brighter then a 2D cell light and 4 hours of flat output that fits in your pocket. I personally find the 2x123 2xAA 4xAA lights are more comfortable in my hands then my single 1x123 Arc LS's.
You may even find that that leds aren't for you and at least you'd still have one of the best 2x123 lights out there.

Kier

Newly Enlightened
Wwwwooowww. All of you surprise me a great deal. Although I don't agree with all of your conclusions, I greatly appreciate your suggestions and your opinions. I definitely intend to buy another light or more, but this was just my EDC budget. I know I'll want at least 3 lights. And EDC, a normal flashlight and something brighter than the sun. Fow now, I'm looking at small so I'm either going with an arc4+ second or a firefly. They may not put out a crapload of light like the surefire e1e with kl1, but they're really small. Since I'm a computer geek/gadget geek, I only have so much room for a cell phone, iPod, pda, -flashlight-, etc.

My budget was just a hand wavey thing anyways so an e1e + kl1 is definitely doable. It's just not going to be for an EDC light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif