Turbohead Surefire Question

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
Hey all, is a turbohead on a surefire m2 a good choice? does it really make the beam appear brighter at longer distances? is 2 cells enough to power it? i really dont want to spend the money on an m3t if i dont have to. thanks:) also it says in teh surefire 04 catalog the m2 was supposed to come with a lanyard and mine didnt what gives?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

The TurboHead for the M2 is the KT1-HA.
It is not shock isolated like the Millennium TurboHead is (M3T, M4, M6 etc).

The N1 beam is tighter and round - it is intense compared to the P60 beam and it does have greater throw.
It's a really good quality beam but there are better. The N2 beam for example, and the N3, and N5 and N62, and MN16, MN61, MN20, MN21... Most of the beams that about more then the N1 does.

In my experience, I really need at least 100 Lumens, if not 200 Lumens for a longer range (tight intense) beam. The N1 just doesn't have the punch and power at the ranges it illuminates better than the P60 does.

The M2 has historically not been supplied with a lanyard. If the 2004 Catalog say that is does perhaps this hasn't yet been phased in. Or perhaps it's a mistake. If you feel you should have a lanyard then perhaps you should call SureFire Marketing and ask?

The M3T is a significant increase of useful power at range compared to the M2 or even the TurboHead with N1 lamp. If you need a beam of this type I don't think you have much choice. After all, the cost of the KT1-HA can go towards an M3T (my twisted logic tells me you are already saving money on the M3T by not getting a KT1)

You could try here for some beamshots and in the reviews section of this discussion board you may be able to find other comparisons of the M2 and TurboHead beams.

Al

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
thanks. well poop. im really wondering if i have a problem like if im obsessive compulsive or som ethign. i look at pics of surefires all the time and i want all of them. like ill get one, then ill just want another. and these things are freaking expensive. i dont really NEED anything more then an L4 maybe. but i try to justify an M3T.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If it makes you feel any better, starting from stratch I'd get the L4 for EDC and the M3T for use in the dark [outside]. I'd get these two first without a doubt.

Al

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
thanks al. im the guy that emailed you about the lights and you sent me all the pictures by the way. thanks so much for your help i really appreciate the effort you put into it. im going to try to trade off or sell i guess the m2 and get an L4 and an M3T for starters. thanks.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, welcome to cpf...I have had this dilema myself. I too have an m2, but it isn't long enough, big enough and I wouldn't personally bother with a turbo head for it...I'm getting an m3 soon (finally decided between the m4 and m3) with extra turbo head, led head, and selling the m2. Later will go with a kl 6 head. Also know an excellent source in the states that is really reasonable compared to other places...it's where I found the m 3.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The "Old" 9P is the can use the following TurboHead Kits:

KT2-BK - This is the current TurboHead Kit.

T2 - This is the 3" diameter Extended Range TurboHead Kit - Discontinued.

The SRTH from LPS, and the "12PM" TurboHead can also be used.

There are three Lamp Assemblies for the 9P TurboHead -
N2 105Lu/60min
MN15 125Lu/60min
MN16 225Lu/20min

The N2 is the best beam - intense, round and tight.

Al

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
glock_nor_cal said:
thanks al. im the guy that emailed you about the lights and you sent me all the pictures by the way. thanks so much for your help i really appreciate the effort you put into it. im going to try to trade off or sell i guess the m2 and get an L4 and an M3T for starters. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Glock_nor_cal, I would suggest you keep your M2 and just purchase a KL5 LED head. With it fixed on your M2 you are getting an equivalent of an L5 Lumamax without the clickie switch but the lock out tail cap. The L4 is small and pocketable no doubt but the beam is very wide and is not so good at spotting details like an L5 or KL5. I had a KL5 fitted on my M2 and I love it so much that it had been my EDC light ever since. It is just my opinion but if you should prefer the more handy size of the L4 then go for it. Please note that I am only comparing an L4 to an L5 or KL5 and is in no way slamming the L4 as a lousy light. The L4 is a great performer too and way surpass many 2 cell lights in it's class.

If budget is a constraint, get the M3T at a later date.

Andy Ho

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
thanks andy yeah ive traded my m2 for an L4. Ill use it edc. and eventually get a new M3T or possibly M4, cant decide for a big light.