Spyware Blaster Problem?!?!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shortly after installing it, my PC became unstable and I still cannot open my docs. It claims sys resources are low and then locks up. I have to manually shut down and reboot, sometimes twice. System resources shows 49% available though. I ran four different AV checks without finding anything.

This may only be a coincidence that it happened after installing the anti spyware but I'm stuck now. Anybody else run into that? Sure hope I don't have to reformat.

was_jlh

Enlightened
I doubt it's spywareblaster. Have you checked to see what processes are running?

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
I have no problem with spyblaster. You need check the Windows Task Manager under Processes tab. See which program that eat lot cpu usage or memory usage. If you are on WindowsXP.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably my Me OS getting the jitters. I've run with 45%-50% system resources for quite awhile with no problems. But now it sometimes locks up when I try to open a Word Doc. I don't know what's gobbling up my memory as yet. I will appreciate any help on this as I'm only a PC novice.

Thank you for the above suggestions.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uninstall Spy Blaster and see what happens. But I would first see what all is loading at startup. That one more thing loading at startup may have been what put your system over the edge ..... so to speak.

Mike

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had problems after it was uninstalled too, but I'm able to open my documents now without it locking up. What % of most PC's system resources are normally free? I'm using about 44% as I write this.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
That all depends on what you've got running at startup, what CPU you have and how much and what type memory.

Windows itself (all flavors) seems to take up it's fair share of system resources. Norton Anti-Virus does too, in fact it's a real resource hog and one reason I don't like to recommend it. Microsoft Office tends to load some of it's "stuff" at startup as well, but that can be removed from your startup folder. Also, if you don't have a separate video card and it's using onboard video, that uses some resources as well.

The only thing on my Wife's Windows machine I run at startup is anti-virus. The rest is done manually as needed.

If you have a bunch of icons next to your clock after your computer starts up, all that "stuff" uses system resources.

Here are a couple of links for you to check out.

Resouce Management

Pacman's Portal

Black Viper (for XP users)

Mike

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links, Mike, gottem marked. Just for fun I ran the memory down to 35% and was still able to edit and retrieve a word doc. Yesterday the PC kept slipping off the tightrope.

I do maintenance/defrag regularly but did it again, yesterday after my problems. Now it's zipping along and stable. I'll keep my signals crossed.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayflash,

One more thing I forgot to mention. You can have too much memory, no lie. I remember reading several articles awhile back about this issue for some versions of Windows, like 98 and ME. Now, when I say "too much memory", I am speaking in how the operating system handles, or doesn't handle it properly.

Here's a couple of those articles to get you started ........
Too much memory.

Too much memory article #2.

Mike