Bought Matrix 2 but looking for alternative?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought the Matrix 2 today at REI. I was lucky, first one out of the box had a white beam. Doesn't appear to be any brighter to the eye using lithiums instead of alkalines but lighter and more comfortable with lithiums so I think I will stick with using them. So definitely a step up circuit involved, maybe regulated too? Beam is a bit splotchy as was the one from the Yukon HL that I tried also. Also a little too narrow for my particular tastes. I would have bought the Yukon HL but already have a Aurora. I really would like a headlamp brighter then the Aurora but with a broad beam similar to what you get out of say an Arc LSL. Does such a thing exist also without being too bulky? Certainly the Yukon HL and Matrix 2 are as bulky as I care to get. If I could find such a thing then I would save the Matrix 2 as a Christmas present. I mainly want one for use around the house. I assemble and dis-assemble PCs a lot and sometimes the Aurora just doesn't provide enough punch though I found it does Ok for night time snow shoeing.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would have had the same problem with the Yukon HL. I tried to mod one to LD, but it is a PITA to get the PR base off the PCB. It's soldered in 3 places, so unless you can apply 3 irons simultaneously, you're basically stuck with trying to nudge it out 1 side at a time. I may take another crack at it tomorrow night.

There may be some hope for you, though. I tried both HL and Matrix 2 with a piece of picture frame diffuser similar to acrylite. The beam comes out a lot smoother, and fairly wider. Kind of like a 5mm profile, but with a little more light thrown towards the center. Actually kind of nice, and also works up close.

I'm gonna ask Otokoyama if he can make acrylite lenses that will fit PT bezels. I think there would be a good demand for them. I know I want a few. A gentle diffusing can really make a world of difference.

chumley

Enlightened
I read that PT is coming out with a 8 led headlamp with adjustable output called a Corona, IIRC. I read about it in an update from the SHOT show.

I think that it would be very useful for tasks requiring bright wide output. I have an original Matrix that is too dim in an urban setting, and a Vortec that is too bright for close up lighting.

I did put some WriteRight on the Vortec which made it better for close up use.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, I got a LD into the Yukon HL. Did I mention it's a PITA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The beam sucks. It gives a very focused hotspot with a bright cone of light. Much of the light is not captured by the reflector. An optic outhrows it, and has a better beam. The original SE was better too. Really not the most impressive reflector in the world - especially given its size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif