Inexpensive bright incandescent flashlight.

jhereg

Enlightened
I noticed some small 2D Eveready flashlights at Home Depot today. They are plastic w/ a sliding switch on one side. The reflector is metal & is faceted in the middle.
I decided for .99 ea they might be fun to play with so I picked up a couple. (purple and green) This makes a nice inexpensive light. For $6 including batteries I have a bright flashlight and I'm not going to worry about losing or breaking it. Would make a really nice car light since it is uses lithium batteries.

Eveready 2D Flashlight 99c
3 123 Batterys 3.00
KPR112 Bulb 1.29
Misc PVC & Duct Tape .50 (approx)

The look on your friend's faces when they turn it on while they are looking at the reflector. Priceless! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
You can simplify that mod a little bit by using a 2C flashlight instead of a 2D model. The two C's are exactly the same length as three 123's. You get a smaller light too.

Hobo

Newly Enlightened
I would have thought that 9 volts from three 123's would be too much for a 6 volt bulb. How long do these last, and how sensitive are they during normal use?

jhereg

Enlightened
I haven't managed to blow one yet, but I'm on my second set of batteries. Have used a Mag w/ that configuration for a general light for the last several months. I have tried two of the HPR50 bulbs, but they don't deal well with 9v. (No suprise since they are rated at 5.2.) The HPR50 bulbs are intensely white and bright while they work. Maybe 5 min. The KPR112 don't seem overly sensitive. I haven't managed to blow mine from dropping the light or from voltage. The 2D light I posted about even has room the the base where you could put a foam wrapped spare.