C & D Cell bulb upgrades

bagman

Enlightened
Before I saw the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I used a number of C & D cell Maglite's as the torches I kept round the house and car.

They still have their uses in a social situation so there are still a few lying about but unused as torches.

What bulbs/easy mods (as I am not technical) can I do to get a bright for a short time (20 minutes or so would do) club rather than just a club?

I am looking for info for 3 & 4 De Cell lights and 3 C Cell.

Thanks in advance.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest thing to do is to get a krypton bulb 1 cell smaller than you're actually using. I've got a 2 cell bulb in a 3 cell mag, pretty damn bright, and it doesn't get any easier! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jhereg

Enlightened
The best solution I have found is to make an adaptor w/ 3/4" pvc pipe & duct tape & use 123 batteries. It works well with a 2D or 2C Mag w/ 3 123 batteries & a KPR112 bulb. I haven't found any readily available bulbs that beat that combination. the KPR112 is bright & stable. The other combinations seem to be dim/yellow or flash right away.

If you want to work harder I have converted a 3D mag to use 6 123 batteries & a MR16 20w flood bulb. It makes a really bright light, but probably isn't worth the extra effort to adapt the MR16 to the Mag flashlight.

Of course if you want REALLY bright I just tried a 2 cell mag bulb in a light that seemed to dim w/ 3 new 123 batteries. It worked & was ok bright. When I tried 3 older batteries it was the brighter than any of my other combinations, for about 1/2 a second. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ( I think I had a bad battery. )

Latest posts