Unimpressed with Surefire G2

photonic

Newly Enlightened
Ok let me qualify that. Of course it's the bottom of the surefire line and I shouldn't expect much. It's beam shape and quality are really great- amazing, actually. But I did expect it to be blindingly bright and it's not. This is my first surefire light and there's a decent chance it will be the last one. I'm thinking of getting the P61 lamp assembly to see if it dazzles me with it's brightness. It costs $25 and the whole G2 with P60 lamp and 2 batteries cost me $28... The E1E is executive is really cute but I don't know if I can get myself to pay $80 and get less light for less time.
I heard about a cheap light in the 110 lumen range being sold at Sam's Club but I can't find it locally. It was $25 for two flashlights, with batteries. The batteries it comes with got recalled so maybe that's why it's not on store shelves... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
Photonic.. it's fine if you're unimpressed, but you won't find better for less. G2 is the bottom of the line, but even the top-of-the-line M2 won't give you substantially different/better light.

Sounds like you're thinking of the Dorcy Spyder lights (which were at Costco for $27 for two w/ batts), they are (to my eye) no brighter than the G2 w/p60, with really truly marginal beam quality. The '110 lumen' rating is clearly fictitious, or perhaps intended to address the total output of both lights in the pack.

I think you may have been a victim of overly excited expectations - the P60 lamp is shockingly bright for its size, I don't know of anything brighter, but it's still a very small handheld light, with all the limits that implies. We'd all like M6 eye-searing 500 lumen power in a G2 package, but it just doesn't work that way.

Keep in mind that the previous state-of-the-art flashlight in this size category was the MiniMag. You want to be unimpressed, check out the MiniMag next to the G2.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I agree as well. The G2 and other 2 cell SureFires emit an awesome amount of light for their size and battery power. It sounds like you are looking for something much brighter. The real question is how much do you want to spend? Lights are like cars, you want more horsepower it's going to cost more money.

If you are looking to temporarily blind somebody with a light, the G2 or 6P will do it, or atleast have them seeing spots and hinder their vision if you use it effectively.

If you can define for us what you are trying to do with a light, I'm sure most of the guys here can make some good recommendations.

--Jason

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I am most impressed with the G2.
I own several (8) and it is my EDC.
You do get what you pay for. IMHO, for its size, features and price, a Surefire G2 cant be beat.
Dont waste your time/money getting the P61. YOU will be even more unimpressed... 2X the Lumens @ 1/3 the runtime...and it doesnt look 2X as bright (to me)
Nah, buy another G2!

Topper

Flashaholic*
Try going into a room with no windows stand there awhile in the dark.Then try it, you may change your mind. In pitch black even the AA Mag is bright.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

soloco

Enlightened
I LOVE my G2. Try some other lights using 123s and you will find the G2 (P60) is excellent. Much better beam than my Spyder or Scorpion. It's the most affordable way to get into Surefire collecting. It's too bad it didn't hook you.

Viper

Newly Enlightened
Try blinding an un suspecting friend one night in total darkness.

Not the most polite thing to do, but you will see how effective it is to be on the business end of P60 lamp.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I'm not sure what you are comparing it to that you are not impressed, but like most people have said already, I think it is dang impresive for size/weight/price.

I've seen the Dorcy Spyder. It is not bad considering the low price, but I don't think it compares favorably against the G2 in any way except price.

Concerning the P61 HOLA: it will not give you much more throw. The hotspot will not seem to be much brighter but it will be a much larger hotspot.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something you need to remember is that smaller lithium lights aren't cool because they're bright, because they're not really. It's as bright as a 4D xenon or halogen light but with less throw. A larger traditional light blows it away.

The reason these are cool is because of the brightness _for the size_. You can fit it in your pocket but it's as bright as something a foot long weighing a couple pounds.

photonic

Newly Enlightened
I think with the hype surrounding Surefire I was just expecting huge light in a small package. The day I bought it I was outside in the dark (it was foggy, too) and I had my friend's 4-D Maglight in the other hand. As Abtomat says, it is handy to have the same (or slightly more) light in a small package. But there wasn't a huge difference in the amount of light produced.

As for the other posts - I too was more pleased when experimenting with the G2 in a dark room, but being a beginner in the hobby I intentionally left that out of my post- of course it makes a dark room light! I thought people would make fun of that comment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Deanster is right, it was the Dorcy Spyder light I wanted to check out. Are they still available at Costco? I'm sure they are not put together as well as a surefire but for the price I'd like to check them out.

Rebelram: I don't mind spending a lot for a truely bright light. And it doesn't have to be all that small, either. I was one of the dopes who rushed out to get a green laser pointer years ago when the <3mW units were $400... (Early adopter tax)

I think my problem with surefire is the overall price. Yes, they are brighter than the previous generation and yes, I understand the allure of beautifully machined (and functionally useful) metal (witness my gun collection) but I am glad I didn't start with something more expensive than the G2 or else I'd be kind of annoyed. Are there any other makers working in plastic (Nitrolon? Seems like glass filled Nylon to me) and keeping price points low?

Thanks

Topper

Flashaholic*
Photonic, folks have been making fun of me for 44 years it
gives someone else a rest for awhile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am not up on Nitrolon lights. I have a 8NX OD but I rarely use it. It is
made by SF as well. The SL TL3 is bright and my Pila GL4's and my GLX3 are not for sale however they are not plastic.
Good luck!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
You say you werent impressed with the output compared to a 4D cell mag since the output was relatively the same? Try goin on a hike with each and let us know when you get tired of carrying around the mag. For the size, lithium lights are great. I however was unimpressed with my G2 since I got it after I had an E2e. The E2e is much smaller!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
The E2e is much smaller!

[/ QUOTE ]

time to get an E2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Frangible

Enlightened
No flashlight will ever be "bright enough" compared to night vision. Spare yourself the endless suffering of battery life under 40 hours, bulbs, blinding other people, and only being able to see so far, and get a generation 3 image intensifier!

(I will say though, it's damn hard to walk at night with night vision over rough terrain, and it just isn't pocket size)

photonic

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone seen the Sypder at Costco recently? Or has the recall pulled them from the shelves? Are they available online anywhere?

Topper

Flashaholic*
I see them on eBay,If you were not happy with the G2 I think perhaps you are barking up the wrong tree with the
Spyder.

Squid

Newly Enlightened
Deanster hit the nail on the head.

Have you taken a look at the PT Surge?

jbrett14

Enlightened
Photonic, from the sounds of things, you may want to get yourself a PT Surge. For a low cost (under $30) light that puts out very bright light (about 50% brighter than the Spyder)for it's size, nothing comes close. Of course it is not as small as your G2 or other 2L lights but it's not gigantic by any means.

Latest posts