Please Read if you own or will buy the Op-Tech “RETRIEVE-IT"

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Please Read if you own or will buy the Op-Tech "RETRIEVE-IT\"

Over the past year I bought 4 Retrieve-Its in two separate purchases several months apart.

ri-tad2.jpg

It seemed like the perfect holder for my key ring with its 6 keys, ARC AAA and Photon II and was much smaller than its most similar competitor, the Mini Gear Keeper:

hammerhead1.jpg

Unfortunately three of the Retrieve-Its have broken in the course of every day use even though I have been careful to not over-stretch the cable or abuse it in any way. I noticed the most recent break yesterday at JFK airport while I was checking my AAA. They have all broken in the same place on the cable, right above the pressure band that locks the loop, but not on the loop itself.

I am making no accusations against the product; I prefer its design to other products of its type and I grant the possibility that somehow I am at fault, but losing one's keys is serious business and that is why I have posted this as a "Please Read". It is intended as a heads-up for fellow Flashaholics.

Brightnorm

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Please Read if you own or will buy the Op-Tech "RETRIEVE-IT\"

Thanks for the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

What material is used in the reel? Is it a stranded steel cable?
I've got my keys on something like that, with a steel cable, and it seems to be holding up.
Also have some other ones with nylon lanyard, but I just use them as a safety, more than for primary attachment.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I've been using the belt-clipped Gear Keeper (2nd from the right) for over a year now. I carry my work ID-badge on it. It gets pulled dozens of time each day. It still works great and has a smooth feel to it.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
What material is used in the reel? Is it a stranded steel cable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is.

BN

Prometheus

Newly Enlightened
North American Continent, Earth, Sol System

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. it is very important that notes regarding ANY potentially defective product is reported. we are freezing any future deliveries of the OPTECH retreive-its to our customers until the engineering department at OPTECH USA can inspect and resolve any QC or design problems.

As a TAD GEAR customer you are entitled to a full refund for any defective product. You may also exchange this any other product from us you wish. Further more I had a discussion with OPTECH USA this morning and they are VERY anxious to examine these defective units you have.

They are more than willing to replace any units out there which may not be up the expectations of the users. And again, they would be very grateful if their engineering dept. could actually examine these subpar units to resolve any flaws in the design.

OPTECH and TAD GEAR have been selling thousands of these units for years now and it seems that there may be a current issue with somewhere in the production process.

OPTECH USA and TAD GEAR will certainly take care of these defective units according to your wishes.

The main point of contact at OPTECH assigned to deal with this problem specifically is Sheila. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Please feel free to call her TOLL FREE at 800-251-7815 to address your problem units. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

We are also here to receive your call or emails regarding this issue as well. 888-432-7227 or [email protected]

Best regards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-prometheus (aka) Patrick

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Patrick,

Thanks for that quick response. Unfortunately I threw out the two previous ones and disposed of the third one at the airport. However, after some digging around I discovered that I had two more Retrieve-Its for a total of six. I think I had even more but probably gave them as gifts. I suppose it's a good sign that no one has complained to me about them.

Counting the 4th one which I just started wearing (keys in pocket) that makes three unused ones. One has the metal "loop crimper" exposed; the two others have it covered with a black plastic head that fits over it but is not glued on.

I compared the Retrieve-it to my "Mini Gear Keeper" and tried to see if one of the two methods of securing the cable end to the female plastic lock seemed superior to the other. As far as I could tell they are both effective. Besides, the problem doesn't seem to be in the crimp, but just above it. If memory serves I think the break was about 1/8" to 1/4" above the crimp.

I just paused while writing this to go through several mock uses of the Retrieve-It to see if I could spot any potential mis-use. I measured cable length with a tape measure. Here's the procedure:

1 Stand up
2 Remove keys from R front pocket by pulling up on either the plastic lock or the nylon cord connected to it. This requires just a few ounces of force.
3 Stand in front of front door, insert key in lock. Distance is about 19-20" from lock to belt; actual cable length is about 14 1/2". I never extend the cable to its full length.

After doing this several times, purposely altering the distance and angle I simply can not figure out what is causing the cable failure. Could there have been an unconscious moment of extra hard use? I just don't know.

I will try and remember to check the cable from time to time to see if I can spot anything. The Retrieve-its last a few months before the problem occurs.

I like this product enough to have bought several of them. Have any of your other customers had similar problems? I may have misinterpreted your post but it seems to suggest that there may have been. If so I hope you are able to solve it. If not then I must be doing something to cause it. D@mned if I know what it is.

Thanks again,

Brightnorm

Prometheus

Newly Enlightened
North American Continent, Earth, Sol System

Hi Brightnorm,

actually we have not had any recent reports of failing units, but have had a half a dozen or so reported to us over the last 3 years.

We do not know however how many might have gone unreported.

We stand behind the company's products we sell and always welcome feedback to make any improvements in what we sell.

For the thousands we have sent out the failure rate is very slight with our stats of 6-10 units being subpar. Of course we would like to have NONE fail at all, but the fact that you personally have experienced a high incident with the units you purchased is a red flag and of QC concern to us. 4 out of 6 units you purchase should NOT have failed.

I appreciate your detailed feedback and it will be passed along to OPTECH USA's engineering department.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Patrick,

Thanks, but so far it's three out of six, not four. Your total failure rate is vanishingly small which suggests that I may be doing *something*. It's quite puzzling.

Brightnorm