completely hypothetical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
would a 2 or 3 cell surefire with the IR lenscover be able to trigger emergency traffic light switches on the top of traffic lights that police/fire/ems use? i know its illegal to do and i'd never do it, i'm just wondering if it is possible. does anyone know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
No.

What triggers the signal is a modulated light beam, not IR

GregR

JOshooter

Enlightened
What you're asking about is the cells of the light. The cells just determine the amplitude (brightness) of the light, the signals are triggered with a certain frequency of a light flashing.

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
what kind of light beam would trigger that. is there a handheld light that would or is it a type of strobe only on a lightbar

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it has to be a light at 60 hz with a brightness of 34 lumens at a frequecny of 40 hz

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
what does that mean in english. is there a kind of handheld flaslight that woudl do that. is that a visable beam of light?

Greymage

Enlightened
It's an infrared beam. Note that the use of MIRTs by unauthorized personnel is illegal in many jurisdictions. Michigan, for instance, recently made it a felony punishable by a 2-year jail term and $10,000 penalty (higher time/fine if anyone is hurt by such use).

Why don't you call your local police department to ask about getting one of these devices? I'm sure they'd be happy to help you, one way or another.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closed...This issue is becoming problematic. CPF isn't here for the discussion of defeating traffic lights.

--dan

Status
Not open for further replies.