1 watt / 1xCR123 ebay light

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
I recently came across this 1 watt / 1xCR123 light on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=4125959545&rd=1

I've been considering purchasing a small, inexpensive Luxeon light for EDC. I am intrigued by this light's size and form factor. At approximately $40 shipped this light seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

I have pretty realistic expectations and realize that at this price point, the fit and finish will not compare favorably with Arc LS series lights. I am more concerned about the price/performance ratio here. The 25-30 lumen output and 6 hour runtime claims seem wildly overstated so I am taking those with a grain of salt.

Does anyone out there have any direct experience with this light?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If you can get it for the starting price on e-bay, that would appear to be a good price. GoldenGadgets.com had it listed for $49.94

indenial

Enlightened
Hmmm. For a MUCH better single cell light, for a slightly higher price ($49.95), I'd purchase the Vortex TC1. I own a similar NUWAI light and the beam and quality are not nearly as good as the TC1. You may PM me if you want to know where to get it.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Linerlock
indenial is right. You will probably do better with the vortex TC1. I have one for sale (PM me please) and you can read a very favorable review we did of it here > http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FLR.htm
What puzzles me about the flashlight you cited on E-bay is the ad's definition of 'Burn Time' . I'd challenge the Seller to clarify that . No way it can -on one 3.V CR123 deliver 25-30 Lumens and then still pump out 12-15 Lumens by 3 hour's end and then still produce usable light for 3 hours after that. The TC1 delivers a real-world runtime of 1.5 hours ( to 50% of 25 Lumens) and about 1/2 hour at around 15 lumens then is simply dies. That's how regulated lights work.The TC2 is an excellent option as well for $ 5.00 more !! If you do end up with the E-Bay light, I'm sure we'd love to hear your impressions of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback guys. The Vortex light certainly seems to be pretty well put together. Based on what I'm hearing here, it also puts out a better beam.

While I've always been a "gadget freak", my interest in flashlights is relatively new. It REALLY took off when I discovered these forums. Prior to CPF, I had no idea that there were so many neat LED lights available! It seems everywhere I look now, there's a new light that I "MUST HAVE". Budgetary constraints prevent me from acquiring every light on my growing wishlist but I would like to pick up at least one relatively compact and powerful luxeon based light for now.

I may just bite the bullet and spring for a really nice 1xCR123 light like an Arc LSH or Arc4 second. I currently have a couple of aaa's (white and turquoise) which I absolutely love. I'm certain that Peter's larger lights are equally (if not more) impressive, I've just been hesitant to drop a C-note one a flashlight up until this point.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Actually,somebody did a review of this light here about 2 months ago.Said it was built like a tank and was very bright.Of course it was "ringy" but outside you wouldn't be able to tell.I had a similar one and it was very bright also.A little yellowish beam,but again,outside you can't tell.

Latest posts