LED Maglite(s) at the end of this year ?

lightnix

Enlightened
I've been chatting to a few UK dealers this week and have picked up more than one report that M*glite will be releasing some LED kit in late 2004 / early 2005. This information has come from the main UK distributor.

Anyone else heard anything ?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things will be interesting, I wonder if they are doing it to stifle future competitors from entering the flashlight market. Also I can't imagine them producing a kit (meaning to me anyway a upgrade to a existing flashlight) but instead just producing a line of LED flashlights. If I were currently manufacturing a upgrade kit for their flashlights then I would certainly be submitting a patent on my product.

lightnix

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Also I can't imagine them producing a kit..

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry Lebkuecher, my bad. "Kit" is UK slang for "equipment"; what I meant was that they are said to be introducing whole flashlights, rather than upgrades / drop-ins.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I got tripped up on "kit" a few times until I watched usage (standalone noun versus a modified noun), and started reading BOFH.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Idle,

I don't think it's fair to mention the BOFH even if you do mention the hilarious background at http://bofh.ntk.net/*******.html. These people are just to nice to expose them to such insite into a system admin's life!

Daniel

Burgess

Flashaholic
Maglite moving to LED's ? ? ?

Never gonna' happen ! ! !

:shakehead

They've built their reputation on tried-and-true technology that WORKS !

None of that fancy-schmancy "electronics" silly nonsense !

( and, you can QUOTE me on this ! )

lovecpf
_

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
This might be a new record.... 7 year necro post? lol

Jay611j

Enlightened
Here you had me thinking Maglite was coming out with some new LED lights.... until I saw the date! Hmmmm....... this one's old.

LEDrock

Enlightened
Well, they are, but it's within a couple months...not end of the year. ;)

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/03/maglite-new-products-for-2011/

ML200? Good grief! First, the XL100 which turned out to be too expensive and complicated, so then they made the XL50 which is $20 less while being brighter and simpler (currently at Walmart for $30). I hope the ML200 is another impovement and doesn't add the complications back that the XL100 had. It claims to have the features of the 100 with the ease of the 50. I have to wonder about that. It'd be nice if they could just keep it simple and bring the price back down. $59 seems a little high. It's the exact same price of a Quark 2AA, which does not run on 3AAA batteries. I mean Come on! A $59 light that uses the same cheap battery configuraton of those cheap 3AAA chinese lights??? Again, good grief!

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Robin24k --

Thank you for the updates !

The Mini-Mag Pro (available before end of 2011) does indeed look Promising !

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you link the thread? I couldn't find it.

The XL200 looks really nice (assuming it isn't hard to operate, like the XL100)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?245025-Mag-Light-at-SHOT-2011

I'm waiting for my sales samples so I can have reviews up soon. :)

Looks like the video isn't working at the moment, because photobucket is doing maintenance.

Do you work for Maglite? I notice you post in most Maglite related threads, and seem to be very up to date with Maglite information.

I'll be picking up the XL200, and maybe the XM100.

I will say that the prices are getting kinda high for the general consumer. I know that crazy flashaholics (like us) are used to paying huge amounts for a flashlight, but $60+ is a TON to spend on a flashlight for the average Joe.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I work in IT and write reviews as a hobby.

Maglite is one of my favorite brands, and they are aware of my site, and provide me with some of the latest information. I was the first to announce the XL50 and have a review as well. :D

Keep in mind the MSRP prices are estimated and there's no set price. It's up to retailers.

LEDrock

Enlightened
Can you link the thread? I couldn't find it.

The XL200 looks really nice (assuming it isn't hard to operate, like the XL100)

It looks good, but not for that price. For the same $59, you can buy a 4Sevens Quark 2AA which has more modes, and uses 2AA instead of 3AAA, which is the most hated battery arrangement in all of flashlighthood. Quark also has a belt clip and is available in XPG-S2 Cree. If the price was $10 less, then I'd consider it.