How best to use Side Emitters?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought an R3K Side Emitter and wonder how you fellahs use Side Emitter LEDs to their best advantage?

Britt

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any focusable orangepeel textured reflector works good, or most discoball stippled reflectors fixed, or focussing work good for those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Many mirror smooth reflectors will have a larger than incandescant, ringy, beam pattern with a few artifacts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, fellahs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I have some vintage flashlights that I think are cool looking and would like to convert to LEDs. I'm on Darkzero's list for some textured C/D gaglite reflectors. I'll see if I can find a modder who wants to do these for me.

Britt
standard.jpg

Skulk

Newly Enlightened
What....or who were those red flashlights made for? Fire Department? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shape of the lights remind me of a early 1960s Ray-O-Vac Hunter except bigger and the addition of a pole red light.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi fellahs, these are "box lanterns". Mine were both made in the 50s in Honk Kong, back when it was still referred to as the "British Crown Colony of Hong Kong".

One has no brand name on it, the other says "Terra".

They run on four D cells and the red blinker arm can be lowered to parallel with the handle and becomes a part of the handle.

They are made from very thin stamped steel and the battery box is in no way moisture proof.

I liked how they looked so I bought them and both work. But, the wiring and switches need to be serviced.

These did not appear to have been used when I bought them, the oxidation on the chrome and scratches and such appear to be from shelf-wear or storage.

Here's a photo of the inside of one:
standard.jpg

I may put these up for sale on B/S/T for someone else to enjoy. They weren't expensive at all. I think with a heatsink and proper circuitry they could be converted to LED and be a very long running and cool looking vintage light. For indoor and lightweight use only.

Here's a closeup of one of the heads and the wiring going into it. You can see there is plenty of room for water to get in around the wire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
standard.jpg

Britt

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things look a lot like a light that my grandmother gave me, which is an eveready lantern. The difference is that these have those extra "blinker arms", and mine runs on one of those big 6V batteries. They really do look great!

It would be a shame to mod them too much. I would suggest not doing anything that isn't reversible -- I don't know how easy it would be to replace one of these beauties.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to give one of these red Box Lanterns away to one of you fellahs that has already posted up to this point.

I will pay for postage and will package it real well.

It is the one closer to the front in the photo below:
standard.jpg

You'll need to clean it up and then you can mod it if you wish or leave it as it is.

Out of you guys that have already posted, if you want it, pick a number between 1 and 500 Lumens. The closest to the number I've picked gets it. Free.

Let's have a cutoff time of 0900 Central (USA) Wednesday morning or whenever all have responded, whichever comes first.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Britt
PS: I sent an email to myself just now with the number of Lumens I chose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bid is:
25 lumens.
If I win this, I'll give my work address so that the other guards there can see that vintage relic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif