Wierd Ebay /Paypal problem.

jhereg

Enlightened
I won an auction last night & used the button to pay immediately. This morning I got an email from the seller saying he got the notification & was going to ship it, then a message which said it didn't come to his paypal account. It did go to a paypal account he previously used (email address is confirmed), but apparently Ebay/he put the wrong address for his current paypal account. He wanted me to delete the transaction in Paypal from my end, but I can't do that because it is complete. His earlier messages indicated he can't access the old paypal account & the email address is invalid.

Has anyone here ever had this problem before? Any suggestions to resolve it?

Thanks,
Andy

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to your Paypal tranaction record page.

It should show the transaction in question.. If it show that the amount you sent is unclaimed (for any reason), then you can simply cancel out that one transaction.

Then just resend the payment to his valid email address, and you're all set.

jhereg

Enlightened
That's the problem. It shows as completed. I can't do cancel it. I've been corresponding with him via email & this whole transaction is ringing all kinds of alarms. He told me to call Paypal if I couldn't fix the problem on my end, but they told me he has the money in the other account & there is nothing I can do. I sent him an email with that information & suggested he call Paypal to verify & then send my parts & his only response was "your parts were sent this morning". He indicated earlier that he was waiting until he received the funds in the othe account. I don't know what is going on, but I hope it's just that someone made an honest mistake.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it says completed, then he claimed it, so cancellation is out.

Since he now says that "your parts are being sent" -then we can assume that he's definitely gotten the payment.
-just don't let anybody talk you into sending an additional payment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

My guess is that your parts will arrive soon and there's now really no problem.

Since he is communicative in emails, you're probably OK.
Best of luck

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
You already know this, but save all the emails. Sounds like the story's changed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif
Here's a cross-border story of a gentleman from Quebec that had a problem with an online deal going sour, he got positive results: TDIClub thread.

The FBI fraud centre link in my referenced thread no longer works, here's one that does: Internet Fraud Complaint Center. If you don't get this worked out give them a call. They take this suff seriously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jhereg

Enlightened
I have saved all the emails. I have done screen captures of the auction and my paypal payment screens. The story changing bothers me, but it may just mean he got the confirmation that I had paid, & sent the package, then found the money wasn't in the account he expected & tried to get me to fix it. It appears he is either computer illiterate & doesn't know how to fix the problem, or crooked & trying to scam me. The person I talked to at Paypal seemed amazed that he would think he couldn't access his account because the email address was no longer valid.

Thanks for the information. I'll post a followup with the resolution.

Andy

turbodog

Flashaholic
Is it possible it is claimed because his account has been "taken over" by the paypal people. I have heard stories where people's account have been frozen and all funds confiscated.

jhereg

Enlightened
I dont' know. My understanding is that if the account has been confirmed/activated the money is automatically transferred in w/o having to be claimed. Paypal's info indicates the only time you can cancel a transaction is you accidently send a transaction to an address which doesn't exist. Here is the info from their web page.

Can I cancel a payment that I've already sent?

You may only cancel a payment if it is unclaimed, and the recipient has not yet signed up for a PayPal account and collected the money. Show me (If your payment is completed and you'd like to request a refund, please contact the recipient of the payment directly.)

The following unclaimed payments may be cancelled:

* A payment sent to an email address that is not associated with a PayPal account - once the email address is added to a PayPal account, the payment will be automatically credited to the balance of that account
* A payment sent to a recipient with an unconfirmed email address - for security reasons, PayPal can only credit payments sent to a confirmed email address