princeton tech comments please ?

pjhead

Newly Enlightened
any comments or reviews, seem to be very bright for the size/price, last one i had was only $8.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjhead,

Welcome to candlepowerforums!

There are many reviews of PT lights on this forum. Check the reviews forum, or use the search feature if you have a specific model in mind.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Welcome!

I regard PT very highly tho i have moved on to better lights.
When in a store and helping another consumer choose a light I always guide them to the PT rack.
PT is the saturn of lights - they boast a simple inexpencive design that is durable, adequatly bright , has good runtime , is pretty much idiot proof and feels good amonge other benifits.

If you are not ready to sign your pocket book away in exchange for the really good toys like surefire and tools such as arc and eternalite then you cant go wrong with PT. The tec 40 and rage are some good starters. Stay away from the surge and the 400 and 600 - their design crew that made the switch mechinism designed it for looks only it seem as the part is soft and not up to the stress of daily use. You really shouldnt have any issues with the twist to activate models tho - thats a bombproof design.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Blast is my favorite. Very practical little EDC light.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
PJ,
I had an "attitude" light until I loaned it to a trooper who diden't have the decency to return it.

Not just the light, but the four NMiH AAA cells in it.

When I owned it, it worked rather well. Huge run times. More than good enough to read in bed w/o feeling guilty.

Guess this is the excuse to buy some new toys.

Out here there is no radio shack.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

jbrett14

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TrevorNasko said: Stay away from the surge and the 400 and 600 - their design crew that made the switch mechinism designed it for looks only it seem as the part is soft and not up to the stress of daily use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the switch was designed for ease of use for those wearing gloves, because it certainly does not look "good", nor is it "soft". Though I have not owned mine that long, I have played with the switch quite a bit in evaluating its durability, and find no issues with it at this time. Do you have any facts to back this statement up, or is this just your unproven thought. I find this light to be not only very good quality, but very creative, and very, very, bright.

juancho

Enlightened
The older Surge had a switch that will become "soft" with use, the new Surges have been update with very stiff switches that are very good. I sent two of my Surges to be update to P.T in N.J., they come back in 2 weeks with new bodies that carry the new swithes.

Juan C.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I really like the Rage 4AAA model - I have one myself that I lend out to friends and family when they need a compact bright light. In fact, I have two more on order to give as gifts.

Al

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jack, did you have the Attitude long enough to see if it mashed up the NIMH batteries. If I remember when I tried using AA NIMH in a PT40 they kind of got dented where the +post rested against the -post in the collumn. I don't recall that I cranked them tightly to turn on either. Maybe I did. In any rate I did not lend that one out as there are come crankers here in the shop that feel something is not proerly tight unless it is white knuckle tight. That is why I reverted to Alkaline cells.

My first PT was a 40 back when they had the smooth reflector and the non rubber coated bezel. That rattled around in my tool kit and flew several thousand miles with the care that baggage handlers gave it. It has "character" now and is still on the first bulb.

PT is one of the best values probably out there. Outside of a Dollar Store Boss light.

MoonRise

Enlightened
Nice lights, especially for the price. The LED models are just 5mm ones, so don't expect Luxeon brightness or light levels from them. The incans can be pretty bright.

I have a PT40 that I had wanted to use rechargable AA cells in, but the dang thing would only work with Duracell alkalines. Looking closely at the negative end of a bunch of AA cells and at the bottom of the battery compartment in the PT40, I figured out what the problem was. The Duracell AA alkalines had the negative contact 'proud' on the base of the cell body, while just about every other cell was either flush or a hair recessed. The base contact of my PT40 is just a flat plain strip of metal in the bottom of the battery compartment. Any AA cell that didn't have a protruding negative contact would never be able to touch the plain metal strip in the battery compartment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I made a contact strip with some dimples to contact the ends of the cells, dropped it into the PT40 battery holder, and yippee I can now use ANY AA cell I want! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think some other folks had resorted to a small crumpled ball of aluminum foil to act as a battery contact dimple.

A Mag 4-cell xenon bulb and 4 NiMH cells in the PT40 now give me LOTS of light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif and I can recharge the cells. I estimate the lumens up around the 60 level, and I can illuminate things 100 yards away in moderate darkness. It's not a brightness or throw or light output monster, but it is a very handy size and puts out a pretty good showing. Using rechargeables sure beats the light constantly sucking Duracell alkalines dry every week.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
They are VERY good lights for the money!

I have TEC 40, Attitude and Blast. Tec 40 running a 3cell Krypton bulb is bright!

I don't find myself using them very often as I have so many other lights to choose from. And I am not a huge fan of the very reliable twist switch (except in ArcAAA and Infinity size lights). The 2AAA PT light also is easy to use.

Good value. There are some better choices based on what type battery, switch method etc. But I won't let go of my PTs!

Avix

Newly Enlightened
I use a Tec 40 as EDC (in my hip bag), it is also what I recomend to all sorts of people as a good "car flashlight", I sold my mechanic on it when his crapped out while he was under a car by tossing mine across the place to roll under the car to him.

my only complaint is the lanyard, and that is just a personal thing with me (too long/too short to hang around your neck), one day soon I'll replace it

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Tec 40 running a 3cell Krypton bulb is bright!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you find that the life of the 3 cell bulb is shortened very much?

I just put a Mag 3D into a Tec 40 and I LIKE IT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The PT Attitude was one of my first LED lights based on reviews like Craig's (LED Museum) and comments on this forum. I've gone on to acquiring many other sizes and brands, but the Attitude is not forgotten and resides in my glovebox.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I have a PT-40 and surge. I have returned both for warranty work. I broke the switch on the surge and they didn't even charge me for the repair. They have a great warranty and that keeps my buying their products. Buy a PT product, you won't be disappointed.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I find driving a 3cell bulb with 4cells to be a decent overdrive level. 4 with 5 or 5 with 6 is even safer.

Yes, bulb life is shortened some, but I've only popped one or two bulbs in several 3D to 4C lights.

I've blown LOTs of 2cell bulbs with 3 however!

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
P,
Greetings on the day.

I recall no issues with the mechanical parts. It was stone axe simple and it just ran.

I lost it preforming an act of kindness. I was hanging out at the lounge in the back of the chappel area. At somepoint the DOD linguist brings in a trooper who is having real problems. I chat with the linguist, and the chaplin goes off to work with the trooper. After a while the two of them come back. By now the sun has set and we are under blackout conditions here. I offer the trooper my light so he can get back to his tent.

That was a week ago. Im a little ticked. This is slightly better than loosing it out of shear stupidity. Only slightly though.

It was exactly the right size for some things. This task it excelled.

Our tatical generators have a fuel port. Inside that port is a fitting for an external fuel line. The cap for that line has a small chain on it. So when it was my duty to fuel, I would stick the light inside that chain and it would light up the fuel port at night. (Until I figured this out, I held it in my teeth. A 20L fuel can packs a lot of mass and requires two hands) Nice thing about sealed LED lights is no sparks, and if I spalshed the fuel, it diden't get into the light. Not that JP8 burns well.

It's the little things in life.

Hope all is well.
Jack Crow in Iraq