Merge Arc AAA and CMG Infinity?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was curious if anyone had comtemplated putting the electronics for the Arc into the CMG body in able to run an Arc off a AA battery?

I don't have either and I'm not sure about spending $40 if this isn't feasible.

Anyone who has eyeballed both of these care to comment?

Of course, I'd be happy just to buy an Arc AA, were it available. :)

-john

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
Just off hand why do you want an ARC with a AA? Is it for runtime? If thats the case, buy an ARC AAA and an Infinity, take some foil and fashion it around the ARC head and you'll be able to screw it in to the infinity's body. Or go to a hardware store and find some type of adapter. Or.....go to TARGET and get some rechargable AAA's. They have them marked down to 3.44 for a pair.

If any one light did the trick then this forum would dry up. This is why we all have so many different kinds of flashlights.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Horn:
Just off hand why do you want an ARC with a AA? Is it for runtime?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Runtime + brighter light + near constaint brightness.

I'm interested in doing a clean install -- not foil or such. I'm thinking this would be good for boating and camping, and I want something I can depend on out there.

And trust me, I'm not in danger of only having one light! :)

-john

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
I was curious if anyone had comtemplated putting the electronics for the Arc into the CMG body in able to run an Arc off a AA battery?
Of course, I'd be happy just to buy an Arc AA, were it available. :)

-john
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This suggestion has been made several times, and I think that once the Arc-LS gets into production, we should pester the long suffering Peter Gransee to make an Arc-AA I'd much rather have a 15 to 20 hour high output light, than the current CMG Infifnity. One advantage the Infinity has is that they do seem to be more heavily constructed than the Arc-AAA; so they may stand up to more abuse. But the idea with the Arc-AAA was to keep size and weight down, and have a high output light, using inexpensive AAA batteries. It does this, very, very well. But I think that a high output AA light, built a bit heavier duty than the Arc-AAA, would be a pretty good selling light, too. Anyone who has compared a white Infinity to a white Arc-AAA knows just how dim the white CMG Infinity is. There's really room for improvement here. An Arc-AA, with the Arc-LE Nichia LED, and a lithium AA battery, would be a real pleasure to own and use.
shocked.gif
cool.gif

Xenon

Enlightened
OK, how about using the Mag Solitaire body and using the ARC AAA bezel head, will it fit? Anyone has this combination to try out? I just gave my solitaire to a friend and don't have it on hand to try out.

The reason...soliatire bodies comes with many nice colors.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"how about using the Mag Solitaire body and using the ARC AAA bezel head, will it fit? "

No
frown.gif
The Solitaire has the threading on the body, the ARC has the threading on the head. I also like the idea of an AA battery powered ARC with a 15-20 hour runtime. For somebody with the skills and equipment it probably wouldn't be too hard to machine an adapter that would thread into an Infinity body and accept the ARC AAA head....
confused.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you guys. If this is something you really want, then we will consider it. I can't begin to say when though, we have loaded our plate quite full.

The specs would be Arc-AAA circuit, AA housing, anodized aluminum, twist on. Pricing would be similiar to the Arc-AAA. Run time would be about 10-15 hours.

Peter Gransee

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Horn:
Just off hand why do you want an ARC with a AA? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me it would be to have a 'standard cell' also in the emergency light (that means the same which is used in the main light).
And to use the LiFe cells.....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I "jumped" into this thread because I have found many, many uses for the ARC AAA. I have also introduced many collegues to this little wonder. They have found it amazingly useful as well. Casually, they have made some suggestions regarding configurations that would be even more useful. I have not "formally" (within this BB) described those configurations, but this post might a good opportunity to do so.

Several EMTs, medical examiners, nurses, dentists, & physicians I know would like a "pen-sized," with pocket clip version of the ARC. It would fit clipped on their pocket better than in the bottom of their pocket. During an examination, these medical professionals simply find it more convenient to just simply reach for a light rather than digging for it in their pocket for it, especially when already squating attending to an accident victim or sitting at at examining table attending to a patient. Some are still using the "issue," plastic-body AA versions. Others have the Streamlight 2 and 3 AAA Stylus. That is a sturdy, aluminum unit, but there is no protection for the LED itself and the batteries are hard to find. Some of us, like myself have a need for what I call a Level 0 light (0-2 feet). Again it would me more convenient to have one clipped to my shirt pocket rather than digging into my pocket, opening the leather pouch that contains it and activating it. It just takes more time and more effort away from the immediate task. Several users of "penlights" placed it in their mouths if they need both hands simulaneously. Not a very sanitary practice, especially in a medical or dental environment. That preferred alternative is to place it on a table top. The problem is that it rolls off the surface sometimes even if it has the pocket clip like the Stylus.

Here is my input.
1. Dual AAA power supply
2. hexagonally-shaped, cylindrical body
3. A stout, removable pocket clip just aft of the lanyard loop attachment
4. Hard annodized
5. Push to momentarily activate/turn until steadily activated switch a la Streamlight Stylus.

No change in the LED itself being recessed into the body. Knurling would not be required due to the hexagonal shape.

Count on me buying at least two of these.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This is kinda going off the previous post. Is there a way to construct a clip on the ARC AAA? I like the idea of not having to reach deep in my pockets for the light. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could attempt this project?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LIGHT:
This is kinda going off the previous post. Is there a way to construct a clip on the ARC AAA? I like the idea of not having to reach deep in my pockets for the light. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could attempt this project?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suggest looking in agood stationery shop for pen/pencil steel pocket clips-they should have 'em. I found a good sturdy one for less than a buck that fits perfectly.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LIGHT:
Is there a way to construct a clip on the ARC AAA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted a thread on this earlier about using the clip from a Pentel Icy mechanical pencil. 3 pack for $3

zpen5035.jpg

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
5. Push to momentarily activate/turn until steadily activated switch a la Streamlight Stylus.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi KT,

I'm curious if there is enough market to make this product viable. I would suspect not many people other than EMTs and docs would buy this.

Of course, if the word got out that this was the cat's meow, it might be enough.

I would guess the main issue is how large are the shortcommings of the Streamlight Stylus? If there isn't a lot of complaints about it, what drives you (them, really) to find and spend money on something better?

I don't disagree that the Arc platform is inherently better, and I think your suggestions make a lot of sence for the target users.

I almost wonder if Streamlight should make this one. Maybe some sort of licensing deal.

It doesn't sound that the companies would be that much at odds since Streamlight pretty much doesn't do LED.

...Announcing the *new* Streamlight Stylus joint developed with Arc.

Thoughts?

-john

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee: Perhaps an after-market add-on? Made by after-market manufacturing company?

Eg. Cut a deal with some other manufacturer to produce a body that holds a single AA battery, threaded such that one end receives the Arc-AAA head and the tail end, through which the battery would be installed, is threaded to hold a butt with a push-button switch. They can also supply the clip.

This way, the circuit is still made exclusively by you. The manufacturer only needs to know the dimensions and thread size of the Arc-AAA head. You can either sell it through your own website, or let the manufacturer supply it to whomever wishes to order it as he sees fit.

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
..we will consider it... ..The specs would be Arc-AAA circuit, AA housing, anodized aluminum, twist on. Pricing would be similiar to the Arc-AAA. Run time would be about 10-15 hours.

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr Gransee: count me in. And how about an LS that takes a D-cell, please? (The theme emerging here is easy to discern: 'Arc' light for longer.)

Thanks,

Pierce.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
The specs would be Arc-AAA circuit, AA housing, anodized aluminum, twist on. Pricing would be similiar to the Arc-AAA. Run time would be about 10-15 hours.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is my ideal Arc light. I wouldn't like to change battery in mid darkness. A 10-15 hour runtime will be sufficient bright light from dusk to dawn without changing battery in darkness.
smile.gif

- verge -

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I did it, I ordered an Arc AAA and stopped by a shop here that stocks the CMG and picked one up.

Does anyone have disassembly pointers they would like to share for these two lights?

Thanks.

-john

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
You guys are aware that there is another thread running on this board right now for a brighter shorter burning ARC AAA.

I'd like one with that has a built in solar panel. It also has to burn bright enough to recharge itself. Of course it has to be waterproof and have a button switch too.

I like to dream.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
Runtime + brighter light + near constaint brightness. [snip] I want something I can depend on out there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might be a little naive here, but a straight forward solution would be to buy two AAA-Arc lights. Wrap them together, and you have one unit that is shorter and flatter than an Infinity. Use one after the other, and you have doubled the run time. Have fresh battery in both units, and you will have redundancy. Use both units simultaneously, and you have brighter output. Mix different colours, and you can optimize for different applications (colour, night vision, max brightness).

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have disassembly pointers they would like to share for these two lights?

Er....unscrew the heads
grin.gif
. that`s it- the circuits are potted solidly and you can`t get them out without destroying either one.

But the idea of having a collar machined to take the Arc head, then be able to screw into the Infinity body, that`s a viable one.

rolleyes.gif
confused.gif